I Just Don't Understand Year 7 Levels.

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: I Just Don't Understand Year 7 Levels.

Post by Guest55 »

That's surprisingly late for Year 7 ... any report before that?

Keep looking in his books and checking his planner. Secondary is very different - if you want to know more about levels I can post a link to the NC.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks Guest55..I actually looked at your posts on this subject about 4 years ago ! Still churning out good advice ! I'll keep checking his books and if he improves then all's ok.

Mad.. I don't think he fancies me...more like he fancies himself !!!
mad?

Post by mad? »

scarlett wrote:Mad.. I don't think he fancies me...more like he fancies himself !!!
Don't they all?
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

One of the things I find frustrating about my DC's GS is that the interim reports always seem to be based on one recent assessment. We have a traffic light system, so when I see that one of them has a red ie not on track I have inevitably been told that they don't really deserve a red, it was just based on one test and the whole class did badly etc etc. Well, what's the point of the systm, then? Rant over.
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

DS told me this was all based on assessments he's completed this week .I didn't believe him, but perhaps he's right then ? He's currently in our local pantomime, so is tired at the moment and so I hope that's going to affect work he does this week. It all sounds strange.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Relax and enjoy Christmas! I just got home from a lovey Carol Service and youngest DS remembered he had his report. His marks in maths and French appear to be wrong and way below what he has just achieved in his recent assessments. I shall phone the school in the morning to find out what the actual scores are. He was disappointed because he has been coming home telling us the marks he got and seemed so pleased with himself. Oh well I am sure they will be sorted out.

I have just looked at DS2 and DS3s reports for year 7. I will send you a pm. :D
Last edited by Fran17 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
katel

Post by katel »

Are you sure there isn't a parent's evening until July? That's very unusual for year 7. If it is true, I would make an appointment with your son's form tutor as soon qs possible andndon't leave until it's all been explained properly.

But I wouldn't worry about the grades- they sound fine. I would have a bit of q chat chat qbout the detention, though. If it's for homework, he could hiding it from you because he's not coping- or thinks he isn't. You really really need to keep the communication channels open.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

There really isn't a parents evening until then Katel. :shock: We had a 5 minute consultation a few weeks after they started when I was told he had made friends and that was it.

I have discussed the detention..he has just got home from this pantomime he's in and I was going to wait until tomorrow but couldn't control myself and it was for pushing someone over ..who apparently was pushing him first .Who knows..I just told him I was really disappointed and not to do it again.

Thanks for the pm, Fran...there's one waiting for you......... :D
A Mum

Post by A Mum »

I think you should phone to put your mind at rest. If you don't want to speak to his tutor try the head of year or student services. They will be able to explain the levels to you in context and will probably let you know that they haven't got any concerns. The important thing is for you to not be dwelling on it (especially at this time of year). I am sure they will be happy to deal with your concerns and I am equally sure that if they had any concerns or worries they would contact you. I was worried about some of my sons grades during last year but when we had the consultation at the end of July my fears were groundless and they were very happy with him and his progress. I just wish I had spoken to someone earlier instead of dwelling on it. Looking back I wonder why I didn't phone and speak to someone but in my infinite wisdom I didn't. From the little bits gleamed from what you have said on other threads, your son seems to have settled and likes school (not that he would probably admit to liking it!) so for what its worth I would think he is doing ok but at the end of the day you will probably only relax once you have spoken to someone from the school.
andyb

Post by andyb »

scarlett wrote:I'm sure it's all fine, but I feel a bit upset that he's got a detention as well ( and didn't tell me ) or is that part and parcel of secondary and at a boys school ?
Only one :wink: . I think at secondary school detentions are almost a right of passage. They may be used for quite trivial reasons in Y7 in an attempt to instill good habits/behaviour in the new boys. At DS1's school breaktime detentions are for minor issues e.g. talking in class after being told to be quiet, lunchtimes are for more serious "offenses" such as late/missing homework and after-schools are for persistent late/missing homework, disruptive behaviour in class, inappropriate behaviour out of class etc. I shouldn't worry too much. If there is a real concern with either behaviour or work then the school will be in touch (DS1's either phone or email).