I Just Don't Understand Year 7 Levels.

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scarlett

Re: I Just Don't Understand Year 7 Levels.

Post by scarlett »

Thanks AMum...I feel much better now anyway after speaking to everyone on here ! I do keep a close eye on his marked work that he brings home which also seems to be graded according to effort and apart from a couple of occasions when he didn't finish the class work he seems to be getting b's and a couple of a's .The informations is there if you can decipher it !

Andy...his detention was for pushing someone in a queue, apparently he was pushed first but the teacher handed out detentions to everyone who was pushing and being silly .That's DS story anyway !
andyb

Post by andyb »

scarlett wrote:Andy...his detention was for pushing someone in a queue, apparently he was pushed first but the teacher handed out detentions to everyone who was pushing and being silly .That's DS story anyway !
It's probably true - none of the boys would own up to starting it and the teacher has to make the point that the behaviour isn't acceptable so uses the "short, sharp, shock" punishment of a detention. Your DS probably didn't mention it because he was embarrassed, I would just put it down to experience. Enjoy the Christmas break!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks Andy :) Yes, he was upset about it. I've now another dilemma as he's asked me not to tell DH who I know will go mad and ruin the next few days by going on about it. I don't really want to split into 2 camps but feel DS might not tell me again ( not that he did this time, I suppose .)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Ours only ever had one parent's evening a year, y7 was the last one I think, year 8 a bit earlier, y9 will be in time for the options, can't remember y10, but y11,12 and 13 are before the January exams.

Where you will start to see something worth talking to the teachers about is the next grade sheet, when you will be able to compare this term's and next term's grades. Then a pattern may be emerging about what he is doing and how he's coping.

As for detentions? Well my youngest is very strange, he's never had one, and he's in y9, but all the others were getting good at pretending to be at after school clubs and forging my sugnature by the end of y7, so I never heard of any more really.

I wouldn't worry, the school will be in touch if there's a problem.

Like mine was this morning. I got a text at 10.35 to tell me my son had not appeared in school. I phoned back to say, ahem, he went on a school bus, and then they told me they would have a look to check and if I didn't hear from them again, all was well, he'd just somehow missed registration. I told them he was involved in playing an instrument at the end of term celebration this morning, and that would be why, and to please call back to set my mind at ease. About 40 minutes later I thought, sod this, and phoned back. Of course, Mrs **** we will look for him, but it's been break time and we can't possibly look for a child then. I told them to go and find him or I would come down with the police as if what they were inferring was true, he had now been missing for something like 3 hours , as by this time it was 11.45. Not that I overreact or anything :oops: . A few minutes later, ah yes sorry, of course he's here.

Apparently the truancy hotline's a good thing, I remain unconvinced :)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks for your reassuring words. LFH :) I would have been slowly bubbling up to a frenzy if I'd received such a phone call :shock:

Maybe I'd better come off here and check my phone and emails incase anything else has/is happening !
Looking for help

Well the truant is now home having spent the entire morning in the hall with his form tutor providing the music for the celebration 3 times (it's a big school, so they do things x 3 so everybody sees). Nobody came to ask him if he was there or even had a conversation with him about forgetting to make sure he was registered as present.

A little part of me thinks they never found him and were quite happy to fob me off :o
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Maybe they asked someone if he'd been seen this morning and they confirmed they'd personally seen him and they thought that was good enough. They wouldn't be daft enough to do anything else, the consequences if things happened ............. surely not? :roll:
Looking for help

Snowdrops wrote:Maybe they asked someone if he'd been seen this morning and they confirmed they'd personally seen him and they thought that was good enough. They wouldn't be daft enough to do anything else, the consequences if things happened ............. surely not? :roll:
You'd hope :o. But it seemed to me a kind of paying lipservice to a system designed to root out truancy, but not actually do anything about it....me saying that he was at school almost seemed to be enough . Presumably persistent truants have parents who don't care whether their children are at school and so don't respond to texts about their lack of appearance at school :shock:, so anyone responding must have good children who go to school :lol:
Looking for help

Sorry, Scarlett for hijacking your thread...you know my age and all that, I get a bit confused, and sometimes I don't know where I am :(
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

That's ok ! :D I don't mind my threads being hijacked...it only seems to happen after everything that can be said has been said ..and it means you can offload your similar ( sort of ) worries.

Just cut down on the daytime drinking.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now