Have I done the wrong thing?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
johnd

Re: Have I done the wrong thing?

Post by johnd »

I think you did the right thing, you must remember yourself how the secondary school friendships are totally different and keep changing. It sounds dictatorial, but I don't think kids at this age have any sense of perspective about the choices they face.
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

By the end of the trial day next term, they will already have started to make new friends and possibly rediscover old ones. Year 7 is a strange year and friendship groups change dramatically by the end of the year - especially as they are all maturing at different rates. You have done the right thing, but it is tough making decisions like this - it will all work itself out.
dlb

Post by dlb »

You did the right thing!! Kids make friends anywhere, but it's the quality of the school you should make the decision on - not where there friends are going!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
mad?

Post by mad? »

I agree you have made the right decision. DD1 went with 2 friends to high school and DD2 with none. The 6 months from offer to starting were harder for DD2, I had the same doubts that you did. She did feel a bit excluded from some of the Y6 pre Y7 friendship shuffling. Her taster day in truth just served to remind her she was 'alone' although she still enjoyed it. I think once she knew where she was going she just wanted to get on with it and so did I! However, from the first 10 minutes of actually starting high school to the present day (now Y8 and 10) DD2 has had a much easier time socially than DD1 precisely as a result of her not being encumbered by two so called 'friends' from primary. Keep the faith and it will be fine. :D
mad?
hedwigsmum

Post by hedwigsmum »

Thank you all for the kind reassurance. I know DS will find the next few months stressful, but I think he will be fine in the end.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

They really do make new friends very quickly.

DD1 went off with 10 other girls from primary. Now in year 9, she is still friendly with most of them, good friends with 2, but also has many new friends from all over the place.

DD2 went up with only 2 girls from her school - her best friends went to various other schools. She sort of knew a few other people from Saturday Music, but within the first couple of days had brought two new friends home. Quite often friendship groups seem to form on the walk / bus / train to school.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now