I Just Don't Understand Year 7 Levels.

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scarlett

I Just Don't Understand Year 7 Levels.

Post by scarlett »

I have just received my son's assessment grades ...and I'm a bit confused by it all. At the end of primary school he was a 5a verging on a level 6 for maths and a 5a for English. His levels now are all 5c/5b ..are they different for secondary ? It's hard when you can't speak to anyone about it and of course Ds tells me he has higher levels then other children but then I can only take his word for it. Music and Pe are level 4's and Spanish and Chinese level 2 :shock: Which he tells me is the highest you can get due to not studying it before ??? Is this right ?

Or should I just relax and enjoy Christmas. Just wondering if that all sounds ok and of course he hasn't been at secondary for long. I also have just found a detention slip in his pocket...his first one and now I'm worrying that he is either messing around or can't cope with Grammar . :cry:
pheasantchick

Re: I Just Don't Understand Year 7 Levels.

Post by pheasantchick »

Relax and enjoy Christmas! (and by the sounds of it, you've already planned to do this with Johnny and Bear!)
Last edited by pheasantchick on Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Scarlett there's a lot of level 5 in Maths that isn't taught at Primary (hence why I'm anti the level 6 paper!) - pupils do take time to get used to the new demands.

I would enjoy Christmas !

:lol:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

MFL are always much lower because they've not done them before.
I think their scores do drop in English and Maths from y6 to y7 because the work is harder.
Remember that average Sats levels at the end of y9 are 5/6, so 5 in y7 is fine.

I would also say, relax and enjoy Christmas :D
KS10

Post by KS10 »

He's telling the truth wrt languages. Sounds like he's doing well. :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Aaah thanks for your prompt replies..I was worried no one would notice me in a different section ! Feeling a bit emotional ...but I shall take your sterling advice and relax. I did wonder if they sort of start from scratch again, so to speak. I find it quite hard not being able to talk to anyone at the school.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

scarlett wrote:I was worried no one would notice me in a different section !
That'll be the view new posts button :D
It is difficult when you realise that you can't hang around the secondary school gates talking to other parents, but you soon get used to it, honestly. And then once your youngest leaves primary you are so happy because you get some of your life back :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You should see a shift upwards in Maths next term ...

When do you get to see the teachers?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Well, not until July after their end of year exams :shock: Apparently they do call us in if there's a problem and his tutor told me I could ring him anytime..but he's about 23 and spent most of the 5 minute consultation I had with him in September flicking back his hair. :roll: I do keep an eye on DS books that he brings home and some work is marked as level 6 ..Ds says these levels are just from 1 core assesssment test ??? not from his work in general. I'm sure it's all fine, but I feel a bit upset that he's got a detention as well ( and didn't tell me ) or is that part and parcel of secondary and at a boys school ? I just hope he's doing ok and I have to say I wouldn't really know if he wasn't. :(
mad?

Post by mad? »

scarlett wrote: his tutor told me I could ring him anytime..but he's about 23 and spent most of the 5 minute consultation I had with him in September flicking back his hair. :(
How exciting Scarlett he fancies you! Ask for a meeting and watch him blush :oops:
mad?