End Of Year 7 Targets.

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

Re: End Of Year 7 Targets.

Post by fatbananas »

I've only just got to this thread (I thought I always read all of them :oops: :lol: ),. For what it's worth (and if anything is going to convince you that your strategy is wrong! :wink: ) I would be doing what you do, Scarlett. Somehow, I feel that - dreadful realisation and confession - boys need more monitoring, support, prods, call it what you will, than girls. I don't know how generally true that is; it's just what I feel!

I do know that a few weeks' ago, DS forgot to tell me about a homework; nothing was written in his book, so I didn't know about it and therefore didn't ask, thinking none had been set. He had to stay in at lunchtime the following day to complete it. Now, at 9pm on a Sunday night, he suddenly panics :roll: and asks me if he's done his homework (which he has but obviously blocked it out). I suppose he and I learned that it was up to him at some level. Perhaps year 7 is the time to let him learn some more of that stuff, rather than year 10, or whenever they do their GCSEs?

It sounds like he wants to be supported, whilst recognising it's ultimately down to him. Perhaps if you give him your 11+ pep talk about your belief in him etc and that you will help him with the transition in taking more responsibility for it all? sorry, I'm probably not being much help. I just wanted to say, I empathise/ sympathise :)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks Bananas ...I'm not treating him like a baby, but I'm just wondering if I don't at least initially help him organise his revision with books and a timetable ( I am leaving him to it in his bedroom, so he could be doing absolutely nothing ! ) then will he just coast along or start messing around and fall further behind and then is it possible he will have to leave his Grammar and go to the local school instead. Or am I just being a bit dramatic. Is it too early for wine. :D
mad?

Post by mad? »

scarlett wrote: Or am I just being a bit dramatic. Is it too early for wine. :D
Yes and no...in that order!
HE can choose to listen or not, but he HAS to get to do it on his own sooner or later, the sooner the better. Rose or sauvignon? :D
mad?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Here is the bottom line. I assume you are not planning to go to university with him.

So, working backwards...A levels? How do you feel about sitting down with a strapping youth, saying, 'OK darling, what have you got to learn about tonight? Scalars and linear motion? Let's make a start'.

GCSEs...now here I do actually know quite sensible parents who are still fussing around trying to plan GCSE revision for their teenage kids (both genders). Eleven subjects, about 17 or 18 exams...a mountain of lovely CGP revision guides, and a spotty teenage boy- a bedroom full of teenage boy detrititis and you sitting down saying 'so why did the Schlieffen plan fail? I need 4 points.'

He can do it Scarlett. You have to let him. He won't get chucked out of school, he might just have to scrape a little bit of egg off his face.

Mine's a red please, mad?

BTW only teasing Scarlett...I am sure you aren't doing any of this. :D
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Amber :shock: I don't think I've said I'm spending all evening with flashcards testing him. If I hadn't received an email from school to say I need to look at his revision and end of year exams etc then I don't think I would have bought any revision books or looked at timetables etc and just maybe asked him if he had any school work to do when he was rolling around the floor with the dog. I only started this thread as I was worried A) the school seemed to think he was underachieving and B) what was the target thing all about. Not that I wasn't wanting him to get on with all this by himself. He is an independent boy and wouldn't take kindly to me hanging around hassling him anyway. I'm confused now...what did I mean ? Aarggggh.....I think I'll retire with a big goblet .

Oh, just seen your edited last remark .
Amber

Post by Amber »

Sorry if it came across badly. I am afraid I am having a gut full of 'target' issues professionally - I get brought/bought in to do what I call fire fighting with Year 11s who haven't met their targets. It drives me mental tbh...teaching by numbers.

I didn't mean to imply that you were hanging round him. It was supposed to be light hearted. :(
Will go.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I can see that, but I think as a teacher you can see the bigger picture and I was just worried that my son's new secondary school had put him in the spotlight as potentially not doing very well. Of course I'm worried about the implications and as a parent what should I do to help...not take over..but to help. I find the same with parents on my ward who are completely over the top with a completely trivial illness, but if you don't have the experience to know how things pan out ( or older children perhaps ) then it's easy to worry needlessly.

Let's have a glass of red together, Amber. :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

scarlett wrote:Let's have a glass of red together, Amber. :)
What a nice reply. :D
Cape Shiraz OK? Let's drink to your son....he will do fine, just hold your nerve.
Best wishes.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Sorry - I'm also cooking - so it's very intermittent (my cooking and my responses on here!).

I'm talking from personal experience here, but I could really have done with someone checking with me whether my homework was done; or how I was coping with it. At least sometimes. Particularly if it was a 'target' time, like end of year tests. Even if I could technically cope, it's just nice to know someone is there supporting you and will love you no matter what, at those stressful times of the school year.

And, I suspect, that's what this website is for: to help the parents to cope at these stressful times of year :) .

I expect that your DS is not the only child who's had a similar email from the school. The school are trying to keep kids on track; parents on track so that everyone is happy with the very end result.

Took too long and Amber has replied and Scarlett's replied and Amber's replied and I'm thinking: Cape Shiraz for me too please. Large glass.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Amber

Post by Amber »

It's a shame all 'debates' don't end so amicably,eh?
Just enough left for you FB. :D I'm cooking too, and it does help.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now