13+ Wallington grammar

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sgsgirl

13+ Wallington grammar

Post by sgsgirl »

Hi. I am wondering if anyone has gone through this route and successfully made the 13+ entry into Wallington Grammar. Any help will be appreciated. I know they test English, Maths and VR but not sure what levels are expected. Any guidance will help and if you prefer you can PM me.
ThreeKids

Re: 13+ Wallington grammar

Post by ThreeKids »

Not many take this route I know. Apparently about 100 apply each year and there are about 10-12 places. Certainly DS reckons on it having been 10 this year, but he could well be wrong. Unless you need to do it this year I would give the school a call in a few weeks time when the dust has settled on the current 11+ exam. The question I wanted answering specifically was whether a boy who had not gained a place, or even passed at 11+ would be excluded from trying 2 years later. They are not, so you can take the test at 11 and again at 13, which is well worth a thought!

In terms of settling in - at 13 the boys at WCGS have already chosen their options, which is a year earlier than most schools, and therefore kind of start afresh with some quite major changes in classes etc. newcomers therefore are quite easily fitted in and don't have to feel like they are the newboys in already established classes. The class sizes are also reduced - cohort of 130 split over 5 classes, with some subjects taught in smaller classes still.
sgsgirl

Re: 13+ Wallington grammar

Post by sgsgirl »

Thank you so much for your reply Threekids. I think I will call them in a few weeks time to find out where we stand. Am I right in assuming that your DS has taken this route? Or does he know someone who has taken the 13+ and passed. I'm not sure what level my DS needs to be at by then and what to expect in the papers especially VR. Is it similar types that are used in 13+ VR as in 11+ VR? Please PM if you feel better sharing info that way. I can't explain how grateful I am for any response. My son is heartbroken and I know he did his best, he was sure he would get Wallington and was so close for the other schools.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now