stressed/unstressed syllables

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JaneEyre

Re: stressed/unstressed syllables

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi Solimum,

Thanks for your post. :D How interesting to see that studying music plunge you back into nursery rhymes! I am familiar with them as I have a passion for everything British (or more widely everything from any culture if I were given the chance to live in the corresponding country). So yes, while reading what you wrote, I do feel the stress in those rhymes. It is a good idea to go back to them!

Since my first post though, my DS has progressed a lot with his stressed/unstressed syllables thanks to poetry as he has been learning a stanza by heart of skimbleshanks the railway cat by T.S. Eliot and also repeating a bit If by R. Kipling. My long term wish is for him to learn also the latter so that when he bothers me with his behaviour, I can answer back with some simple truths! :lol: :lol:

We took also the habit to read one or two poems at bedtime each day, more thinking about the magic of the words and the meaning of the poem than the stressing of words as we do not use the internet for that. It is our relaxing time. :P

We have been very very touched by this poem: Useful person by Kit Wright :D
http://www.scribd.com/doc/34553201/Usef ... Kit-Wright" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wishing you much pleasure studying for your course. :D :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now