Maths practice for new year 7

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
katel

Maths practice for new year 7

Post by katel »

My dd does well at maths only because she works incredibly hard. She finds it very difficult to remember anything mathematical, and always goes backwards over holidays, even short ones. She's going to a very academic grammar school in September, and we have agreed that we will do a little work over the summer, so that she can hit the ground running in September. Can anyone recommend any useful books or websites to help us?
Mum3

French

Post by Mum3 »

My son is starting very academic grammar school in Sept from a state school. A lot of the intake will be from the private sector who will have already learnt French at school. His school started teaching French to the whole school this year but obviously the year 6s have only had one year to benefit from this. He has not really learnt very much as the French clashed with his guitar lessons and so missed quite a few of them. I am worried that even though they start learning French altogether from the beginning at the grammar school, the others will obviously all race ahead as they will have covered the syllabus before and the teachers will not recognise that he has not done any before! Can anyone recommend a French teaching programme I could go over with him during the holidays to at least give him some of the basics? (Preferably one which he will enjoy....) Many thanks.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Your first 100 words in French (McGraw Hill) is a great activity book which covers everyday topics and has flashcards for learning basic vocab and many activities (Don't confuse with Usbourne's Your First 1000 Words whcih is just a picture dictionary).

The Eurotalk CD-ROMS are also fun and you can build up points to print out certificates of achievement.

Geoffrey
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The usborne language books are good and have CD, there are also internet links with lots of activities
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Katel, have you tried the maths CDs from this site?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Numbershark is a good computer programme used in a lot of schools, especially in Special Needs Departments. Expensive, but it does go right through to KS3.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://gamequarium.com/math.htm

there are some excellent games online. I use this site a lot in lessons.

A bit of googling can unearth wonders!
katel

Post by katel »

Thank you - I'll have a look at those links. Is there an actual paper book anyone knows of that's good?

Mum3 - they made it very clear at the induction day at my dd's school that it didn't matter if they hadn't studied a language before - dd is doing Spanish and German, both of which will be new to her. I wouldn't worry - I presume they'll set them and and make sure the new learners catch up!

Post by Guest »

My son liked Numbershark so much he actually paid for it himself. The graphics are very primitive (unless they've been updated since our version), but don't let that put you off. A word of warning though - Numbershark is exclusively addition, subtraction, multiplication and division - it doesn't cover other areas, such as shape, volume, probability, etc. (Ok, so there are a few word problems, but that's not really its area)
katel

Post by katel »

How old was your sone when he liked Numbershark, please?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now