Maths practice for new year 7

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
GemmaB

Post by GemmaB »

try this website -activites/links to other sites grouped in key stages and categories
some great games

http://www.mathszone.co.uk/
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Thanks for that link Gemma.

I'm always looking for new maths games, haven't come across the site before.

Post by Guest »

katel wrote:How old was your sone when he liked Numbershark, please?
He was only year 2 or so, but he still likes it (going into year 5), and my daughter (going into year 7) also enjoys it.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.interactivestuff.org/sums4fun/arcade/

found this site which may be of use, lots of quick fire practice
Tom's mum

Practice for Y7

Post by Tom's mum »

The BBC website has lots of really good revision games across the curriculum and key stages - so good, that many teachers use it.

www.bbc.co.uk

Post by Guest »

My son loves wordshark (year 7). It goes up to KS3. You can order a demo disc. I did and they loved it so I forked out!

Re: French

Post by Guest »

Mum3 wrote:My son is starting very academic grammar school in Sept from a state school. A lot of the intake will be from the private sector who will have already learnt French at school. His school started teaching French to the whole school this year but obviously the year 6s have only had one year to benefit from this. He has not really learnt very much as the French clashed with his guitar lessons and so missed quite a few of them. I am worried that even though they start learning French altogether from the beginning at the grammar school, the others will obviously all race ahead as they will have covered the syllabus before and the teachers will not recognise that he has not done any before! Can anyone recommend a French teaching programme I could go over with him during the holidays to at least give him some of the basics? (Preferably one which he will enjoy....) Many thanks.

My daughter will be going back into Year 8 of a very academic school. I had the same worries over the languages as they only did half an hour of french in her primary school and it was very basic. You have no need to worry. I have been told both by my son's grammar and my daughter's that they sometimes prefer the children to come into secondary school with none or very little language skills - that way they can teach them from scratch. In the case of my daughter, she has excelled at the languages (much to our surprise). In her report we were delighted to see the comment "she has the makings of an excellent linguist". Neither of us are good at languages so she has had to manage on her own and has done very well. I am sure your son will be fine.
guesta

Post by guesta »

I never knew they start french and spanish in year 7?my children are both going to grammar school.we all busy here!
How many languages do they have to choose?my children want to know if they can choose either french or spanish ?
Do they have to do both?
Also,what other materials do you use to help grammar school students at home?
Are there websites or CD-ROMS or what?
Do you get private tutors or what?I never went to grammar school so I need to know how to help my children.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

it varies from school to school.
You can look in the prospectus or ask at parent evenings.