IGGY - university of Warwick

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
skools

IGGY - university of Warwick

Post by skools »

My DD school have suggested she might like to consider joining IGGY. They will pay her membership. We have had a look at the website but are still not sure what she might gain from her membership or how much extra work might be involved. We are going to chat with school to see what they expect but wondered if anyone on the forum had any personal experience to share with us.
aliportico

Re: IGGY - university of Warwick

Post by aliportico »

Sorry - my daughter got an invitation to join, with a year free membership, when she went on a DUX day last year, but she never bothered signing up for it, despite (probably because of) my prodding. I don't think it was clear to her what the point was either.
JanIGGY

Re: IGGY - university of Warwick

Post by JanIGGY »

Hello,

My name is Jan and I'm the Digital Marketing Manager for IGGY. I spotted this comment thread (sorry for the delay!) and just wanted to fill everyone in on what we're about and why someone might want to join IGGY.

IGGY re-launched with a new website full of fantastic resources and social features in October 2012 - so even if you were aware of IGGY before that date you might want to take a look at our website.

IGGY is a social network created by the University of Warwick in the UK to help gifted young people aged 13-18 realise their full potential. It gives members access to educational resources and encourages them to work with top academics, student mentors and other gifted young people around the world to exchange ideas, debate, learn and explore in a safe environment. We currently provide resources and challenges in Maths, Sciences, Creative Writing, History and Politics, and Life Skills (including a Careers Hub with over 100 videos) and we have a very active debates section where our members can contribute to an existing or they can start their own. Examples of challenges and projects you can participate in as an IGGY Member include the Junior Commission which involves 10 Members collaborating online and undertaking study visits overseas and Mensa Logic challenges designed to improve logic and reasoning skills. We're also working with an arctic explorer, a professor in creative writing and numerous other partners to provide members with fun, stimulating activities.

We have over 1000 Members now from all across the world and feedback from our community suggests that they are finding the site hugely beneficial both from a social and intellectual point of view. Over the last six months, Members and our team of student mentors have been helping each other out with homework, discussing options for their future and generally making the most of the global community available to them through IGGY.

I'd be really happy to provide you with more information and perhaps let you see IGGY in action - please contact us with us via our website and we will follow up with you.

We hope to welcome you to the IGGY Community soon!

Best wishes,
Jan
IGGY