Relocating to new area?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
felixtn

Relocating to new area?

Post by felixtn »

Hi,
My family and I have lived in Reading, Berkshire since 2000 and my daughter was raised there. However, I was transferred through my job to Dover, Kent in 2008. Since then, my daughter passed 11+ in Kent and attends a great Grammar School and has finished Year 8 with an average of 6A/7C in all subjects and a level 5B in German and Spanish and 6C in Latin.
However, I have now been transferred back to Reading and we honestly don't know where to start! The only Grammar School we know of for girls in Reading is Kendrick, which is our preferred school.
How does a transfer work? Will they be able to take her in on the basis of teacher reccomendations and her end of year report? Or will she have to sit any tests? If so, do you have any idea of how long this process could take? I am looking to start my new job by Autumn time but we don't know if that's too soon.
Thanks a lot!
Tinkers

Re: Relocating to new area?

Post by Tinkers »

Kendrick have an in year admissions policy which is on their website. They will only offer a place if one becomes free (ie if a girl leaves), In Which case they invite potential girls to come in to sit their tests. (I think English, maths, science and language appititude, and also maybe reasoning in tests).

Teacher recommendations etc aren't going to count for anything I'm afraid, so unless a girl leaves and your DD is lucky enough to get the highest marks in testing, you will have to look elsewhere.

http://www.kendrick.reading.sch.uk/abou ... Other.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
felixtn

Post by felixtn »

Thanks, Tinkers.
Well, it's not as simple as we thought. DD not keen on idea of going through the tests again but she's willing to try. Can anybody reccomend any other grammar schools in or around Reading?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think the nearest ones would be in Slough, but I don't know anything about those. Maybe some in Bucks too?

I'm also not sure how often places become free at Kendrick. It's also worth looking at the languages issue. Kendrick do French and German and from reading the admissions, your DD would be expected to up to speed with both in year 9.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Yes, have a look at Tinkers' link and contact Kendrick to be put on their waiting list.

Having had a daughter start school in Reading in y9 (after being HE'd) I've been through your process, and it's largely a matter of which subjects she might want to do for GCSE, and which schools have places - so you need to get the ball rolling asap. We are in central Reading: I looked at every school which was vaguely within commuting distance, and narrowed them down by which did triple science and Spanish gcse's - DD's choices. Came up with 4. Phoned one (in Reading LA) who were unhelpful, didn't want me to visit, and neither they nor Reading council could/would tell me if there were places, a waiting list, etc. Phoned two in Wokingham LA who were both friendly and invited us to visit, and Wokingham LA were helpful as regards availability. The 4th was not easily accessible, out in the West Berkshire countryside, so we didn't bother visiting, but West Berkshire LA were also helpful when I spoke to them later.

She ended up at the one she preferred out of the two Wokingham schools, and is now nearing the end of y10 and doing extremely well there, probably better than her elder sister who's doing gcse's now at Kendrick ;-)

Pm me if you want to chat more about it, but basically my advice to you is to look through all the school websites today and get on the phone tomorrow :-)
Last edited by aliportico on Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Cross-posted ....

You must bear in mind that the grammar/comp distinction in Reading and Berkshire is not the same ad the grammar/secondary modern distinction in Kent. Many local comps are pretty good, with high-achieving top sets :-)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now