ABRSM versus TRINITY- advise please

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
modernista

Re: ABRSM versus TRINITY- advise please

Post by modernista »

Spoke to DD last evening. She is particularly afraid of scales, (had a bad time in Grade 4) though to me they seem essential. You can replace scales in Trinity with a difficult piece so she seemed enthusiastic about switching. She says that there is an after school theory club and she will join that and learn slowly in her own time. She believes she is almost ready for Grade 6 (though we do not have results of Grade 5 yet!), I wonder if the teacher has given her the impression. Also, a dad of a very famous oboe player once said that she slowed down at 12/13 because of preoccupation with other things so given DDs moody disposition, the fact she is gung ho about something may be a good enough reason to go with it.

DD loves composition but she says that she can give Grade 6 now and has plenty of time for theory for GCSE. Of course I share your concern Dao that it is a lopsided learning.

Her piano teacher was asked by her oboe teacher just before the exam to help with the theory so I am sure something can be arranged.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

What is her instrument ? A lot hinges on this - if for instance she is adept at piano, the composition for GCSE/A Level etc will be a lot easier because she is used to reading full music. If it is not, there will be more to learn.

We've done both Trinity and ARBSM in our house, and find that the Associated Board is more widely understood. According to our old piano teacher thought the variety of music to be learned through Trinity is wider and more exacting.

My son has to do the theory now, but because he is proficient at piano, it doesn't seem to be a problem. Having said that my older son who did A Level music and had only Trinity exams, and therefore no theory, managed a great result at A Level music. I guess it depends on the child, is what I am trying to say.
modernista

Post by modernista »

She has just given Grade 5 in Oboe with ABRSM. She has just started Piano. In Year 7 so plenty of time for GCSEs. Loves playing pop and theme tunes on both instruments, loves composing, is lazy about scales but loves certificates!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now