Language choices

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Oshosh

Language choices

Post by Oshosh »

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help. My Ds is about start Y7, and have to make language choices.

3languages - spanish, french, german. You get two choice 1st and you can place the other as 2nd choice. I dont speak any of the languages- how do i make the choices. Can someone help me. What do i have to base this on.

Thanks
Tinkers

Re: Language choices

Post by Tinkers »

Pick the ones he fancies doing.

Maybe try some on line stuff and see which appeals. If you have ipad/iphone then mindsnacks produce some good app language games and is free for a few basic levels, enough to get a taste.

Languages are very much a personnel preference. My DD really wanted to do German to the point it dictated our choice of schools. DH has German family so she was really motivated to learn. She did French at primary and never really got on with it, but loves German.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would choose Spanish first and French but it must be what your ds is drawn to. DG
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Well, DS thinks french would be his choice, spanish he is doing in primary, but says he doesnt enjoy.

Language choices does it have much impact on university entrance. Do some uni look at certain mfl as a requirement. :?:

Thanks for all ur replies
KB

Post by KB »

There are a few universities who look for a MFL at GCSE so it's quite possible by the time your DS comes to that stage that it will be more common as a requirement but unlikely to be any specific language as schools are all different in what they offer.

Didn't quite understand but if he is going to be doing 2 of the choices I would go with German alongside his first choice of French as its quite different so he is more likely to enjoy at least one of them to take to GCSE.
copella

Post by copella »

It is quite difficult if you have a choice at my DS school the students were given a first Lang, french or German and then could chose their second language in year 8 out of Rssian, Latin and either french or German. My DS would have not taken french if he had a choice as he hated it in primary but it is taught so differently at senior school that he enjoys it. I think the Russell group universities expect a language. Personally I don't think it matters what he chooses none will disadvantage him. Do you go abroad much, chose the language he would use the most and he will enjoy.
Y

Post by Y »

German is a heavily inflected language - it has a case based system (see http://german.about.com/library/blcase_sum.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). In structure, French and Spanish are a little more similar to English. If your son has problems with spelling in English, he might be best to avoid French, and stick with Spanish and German, which both have regular spelling systems.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thanks everyone for your input....and information.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now