Bright but lazy? Difficult teenager? Is it my fault?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DrMwsh

Re: Bright but lazy? Difficult teenager? Is it my fault?

Post by DrMwsh »

KB wrote: Mostly they turn out Ok in the end :)
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

As someone who has to short list 3-4 people from hundreds of great applications on a regular basis, it breaks my heart throwing out great candidates.

You better believe they have good grades as well as portfolio. The ones without go in the bin without even looking at the other stuff. You need both, and then some!

It's her call, you are doing your best and it's not your fault.

We all feel like this as parents I think. :?
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

DrMwsh wrote:
leanmeamum wrote: it might be an idea to form a study group with couple of her friends where they sit together and work for exams. They might spur her on to achieve better results.
That's a very good idea, which I would love to try, but the problem with her friends is that they all took different subjects and the other big problem is that we are living miles away from school and from her friends! That was probably a mistake in choosing a school so far away as it takes so much time for traveling and if she goes to meet her friends it also takes twice as much as it should.

My daughter was also far from her school and some of her friends had different subjects. They used to meet in a library halfway so everyone was travelling a bit. They just sat together and studied their own subjects but just having the company and knowing that they were all in it together was good enough
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

OP, I have sent you a pm.
scary mum
DrMwsh

Post by DrMwsh »

Dear all thanks again for all your replies, topis ones and pm!
Every single reply was very useful, it was a good brain storm, gave me lots of things to think about and ideas to try and also cheered me up!
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

DrMwsh,

I did Art Foundation after my A levels and if things are still the same then your DD is right, - I was offered an unconditional place on an Art Foundation course on the strength of my portfolio before I sat my A levels. I ended up with a B in Art and Ds in French and History because, like your DD, I couldn't see the point of studying when I already had a place!

It is what your DD wants to do after Art Foundation that is crucial. Yes, she is right, she will be able to study Fine Art, Graphic Design, Fashion, Textiles etc without good A levels because they will look at her portfolio and interview her. HOWEVER, if she wants to do something more academic she needs those A levels!

Please make sure she understands how few people make a living in the Art World. Being talented is not enough - you need drive and ambition and business skills too.

Do I wish I had worked harder for my A levels at school? Yes, without a doubt.
DrMwsh

Post by DrMwsh »

pixiequeen wrote:you need drive and ambition and business skills too.
Thanks, yes, this is exactly what she's missing... That is why I am fighting for those A levels as plan B!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now