Interesting Michael Gove Petition

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SteveDH

Interesting Michael Gove Petition

Post by SteveDH »

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/m ... 1371473719" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amber

Re: Interesting Michael Gove Petition

Post by Amber »

It would be more interesting to make him be a pupil for a month I think. See what kind of mind-numbing boredom and constant pressure he is inflicting on our children.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Amber wrote:It would be more interesting to make him be a pupil for a month I think. See what kind of mind-numbing boredom and constant pressure he is inflicting on our children.
8)

Oh, YES! Brilliant idea, Amber!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Think the petition should ask that Gove spend at least half a term in Secondary teaching, at least half a term in Primary teaching and at least half a term as a pupil in each of these. Two whole terms should help him understand the whole picture...
Amber

Post by Amber »

Bewildered wrote:Think the petition should ask that Gove spend at least half a term in Secondary teaching, at least half a term in Primary teaching and at least half a term as a pupil in each of these.
Followed by at least seven years researching at first hand the school system of Inner Mongolia. I'm sure we have much to learn from them, and who better to go and experience it for us?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Amber wrote:
Bewildered wrote:Think the petition should ask that Gove spend at least half a term in Secondary teaching, at least half a term in Primary teaching and at least half a term as a pupil in each of these.
Followed by at least seven years researching at first hand the school system of Inner Mongolia. I'm sure we have much to learn from them, and who better to go and experience it for us?
What have the good people of Inner Mongolia ever done to deserve that? :)
Marylou
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Marylou wrote:
What have the good people of Inner Mongolia ever done to deserve that? :)

:lol:
daveg

Post by daveg »

Bewildered wrote:Think the petition should ask that Gove spend at least half a term in Secondary teaching, at least half a term in Primary teaching and at least half a term as a pupil in each of these. Two whole terms should help him understand the whole picture...
Estelle Morris had a BEd. She was a classroom teacher and later head of sixth form studies at an inner-city comp over the course of a nearly twenty year teaching career.

That is why, of course, she was the finest education secretary of the post-war era, making strong and effective changes to, for example, modern foreign language teaching. She was widely respected and praised by the teaching unions and her departure from office was lamented by all.

Oh sorry, she was an absolute disaster. Her decision to remove MFL from the post-14 national curriculum has produced a large number of deserts in which it simply isn't offered at all, and has seen a catastrophic drop in post-16 and post-18 language study. The excuses she makes for this decision are risible. She was, in fact, one of the worst education secretaries of the last twenty years, and that she'd been a (presumably) competent PE teacher gave her no additional insights to make up for her inability to do the job, an inability that she subsequently admitted to.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Michael gove has made absolutely no difference to what goes on in my children's primary school. What should I be seeing?
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

that's because it hasn't happened yet :)