Daughter wants to quit grammar school

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Daughter wants to quit grammar school

Post by Amber »

I agree with Snowdrops. Girls are notoriously capable of vile, often 'under the radar' behaviour to one another (check out the Pastoral Care section to do a quick count of girl-on-girl meanness vs other types) and Y9 is often a low point in this respect. Once they start their GCSE courses and have other things to do than assert their popularity, things often improve for the victims. It may well be that your daughter never grows to love the place (some kids are not really cut out for school, I believe) but will be happy enough to get through what needs to be done.

Sorry you have had a rough time - I have been there too so I know how absolutely gut-wrenching it can be to have an unhappy child - I hope now things settle down for her and you.
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I remember a teacher friend once commenting that girls in Year 9 tended to "go a bit feral" but they generally got better by Year 10. I hope things turn round more swiftly for you all.
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

I love that comment "kids tend to go a bit feral"

The thing is she has always loved the school, and when I spoke to the teachers they all comment on how bubbly she always is, so it was purely a friendship issue.

It was so nice to hear her talking about what options she wanted to pick tonight "systems control" whatever that maybe ???

Must take a look at the pastoral care section, thanks :D