Out-of-character detention-how to play it?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KS10

Re: Out-of-character detention-how to play it?

Post by KS10 »

KCG, I knew it was to do with behaviour / hwk but I thought it was another word for demerit - get so many debts and you get a detention.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

KS10, you obviously live in a lovely area, had I heard about lunchtime debts I would have had visions of lunchtime po(k)er clubs, with debt collecting year 11 boys. (Cannot believe po(k) er is censored, what if I was talking about a fireplace?

Thankfully not only does ds1 tell me about all his detentions, but his super strict, slightly horrible (imo) form teacher writes them all in ds1's journal, which we have to sign weekly or he...you guessed it: gets a detention! There is no escape, although he did forge my signature so badly the other week that he had to tell his teech it was his gramp's signature :lol:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Wish my two would tell me more. They haven't inherited my tendency to say more than is strictly necessary. (Guess which questions I can answer in more detail:
- what are your strengths?
- what are your weaknesses?
- tell me about a lesson that went well
- tell me about a lesson that didn't go so well.)

Silverysea, I tend to worry more about DS and DD being selective about what they tell me. I never quite know if they're telling me the entire story. As long as you and OH know what happened and your DD has learnt from the experience I would leave it at that.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Ok I think we got the balance right-she came in mortified and very apologetic as she knew I had been phoned, but I looked unhappy and said we would discuss it later as dd2 was in room. She's been super cooperative and helpful all weekend, and I asked her to come with me on all my busy Saturday outings, helping with shopping cooking etc. bar one instead of her usual chilling at home. The one I left her home for she worked on a school report, didn't sneak off to tv etc. asked for help with it when I got home unusually. I managed to be very quiet , cool and didn't say I told you so-which really worried her!

The crime-hiding a raw egg in classroom as a mascot/pet (?) which fell off a shelf suddenly and smashed on teachers desk. It has been very hard not to laugh! Once I knew no harm done and teacher had laughed too.

Cultivating the "surprised and very disappointed" air for future!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Not sure I know what to say. Did it really warrant a phone call home? Mind you, if it means an easier weekend at home perhaps more phone calls home is the way forward.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

The way it was presented to me, I thought there had been damage to property or person! Dd1 said no it only broke a little, and I believe her. Hopefully she is truly sorry-she seems to like the teacher and is considering becoming one herself.

The school comes down like a ton of bricks on everything, which really demoralised her in year 7 and 8 and made me determined not to send Dd2 there, just when thinking about extending her with some 11+ as state primaries seemed so hopeless with their able ones IME. That put us on the road to selective school-wish to heaven I had known in time to send dd1, she would be so much better off at school socially and academically.

There are plenty of idiots in her form setting appalling examples and she would never have done anything even just silly like this on her own in the past. I expect she'll just get better at hiding it. I'm going to use my upper moral hand to get her too busy to mess around like this.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I expect she'll just get better at hiding it
What the "egg pet"...what was he called?

Really not worth a call home imo, it is hardly like they pelted her with rotten eggs. I doubt that such silly behaviour would be any less on the teenagers agenda at gs...My son had his whole cookery project Tupperware pot of curry upturned in form last year...and I am pleased to say flicking ink at back of unpopular teachers still seems to occur. Not something I ever took part in, nor would my ds (I don't think) but i did take silent pleasure in others actions.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Dd1 (year 9) has only had two detentions. The first one I found out purely by chance. I joked about something and mentioned detentions. He looked sheepish and I immediately realised he had one. The misdemeanour was school uniform related on one of the open days. The other one was to do with late homework.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Detention giving can be pretty random and schools need a clear policy.

A first offence should be a warning and lunchtime detentions should be given before after-school ones.
doodles

Post by doodles »

southbucks3 wrote:What the "egg pet"...what was he called?.

Ovid :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: