Levels in Y7

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
erisindevon

Levels in Y7

Post by erisindevon »

My DD has just received her end of year report for Y7, which all seems very lovely. However, I have no real sense of what the levels mean anymore.

We are given three numbers for each subject:
- target level (set at the start of the year - targets can be revised up but not down)
- tracker level (the level she is expected to achieve by the end of Y7 if she continues to make current progress)
- current level (what it says on the tin)

Targets set at the beginning of the year ranged from 5.5 - 6.5 for most subjects, with a rather scary 7.5 for maths. Some of them were met and revised at various points in the year, whereas others remained immobile despite several tests in the subject coming in at higher levels. That's fine - I'm sure the teachers know their stuff.

However, I'm curious to know whether the targets being set at this grammar are comparable to other schools? DD is happy and settled and loving school, so I am in no way concerned about her progress - just feeling frustratingly in the dark about what it all means....!

Anyone shed any light?

Thanks
pheasantchick

Re: Levels in Y7

Post by pheasantchick »

We just had our levels also. I think pupils are expected to reach level 5 by the end of year 9, so your dc is doing fine. I guess they are pretty standard.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think it's actually expected that an average child will be level 7 by the end of Year 9. In my experience most year 7 targets are between level 4 (for languages) and 6. Level 7 sounds very high for a Y7 Maths target to me.
moved

Post by moved »

Average child reaches L5 in yr 9.

Levels are defunct from September 2014, with the exception of yrs 2 and 6 who will sit the old national tests.

Level 7 in yr 9 is high attaining; however, in maths level 8 and EP (exceptional performance) are also seen.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

This may help:
http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/per ... 5/k5.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would expect grammar school dc to be well above the minimum.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In maths we expect the majority to reach level 6 in Year 7, level 7 in Year 8 and level 8 in Year 9. In MFL expected levels are lower as they start at a low level - some schools have guidance on their websites.

Most schools won't 'get rid' of levels until Ofsted decides how progress will be measured.
moved

Post by moved »

Interesting that 'most schools won't get rid of levels' when the new curriculum has none. I can see that it could be used for internal tracking but any mapping exercise shows that the curriculum is covered much earlier. Possibly much less of a problem for secondaries and grammars as they motor through the curriculum fairly quickly and don't have the prescription of when to teach what that primaries are subject to.

All of the schools I work with are engaged in 'assessment without levels' work at the moment, but they are in inner London. Will your SIP visits accept the use of levels G55?

At a meeting of heads of maths and head teachers from both primary and secondary recently none of the schools present were continuing to use levels apart from one from Suffolk who were unsure how they were going to proceed.

I am engaged in a project that is designing both tracking and assessment for the 2014 curriculum. Although still improving our work, we are already trialling this in a number of schools as the new curriculum has been available for some time.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

SIPs don't exist anymore and haven't for three years or so. All Bucks schools have an adviser 'link' to the LA ... this is a different role though.

Bucks is suggesting that schools keep levels for tracking -
llol39

Post by llol39 »

Hi does anyone know what % someone needs to be reaching to move from 6b to 6a in maths?

My DD is at our local GS in Y7. She has over 5 maths subject scores of: 78% - 82% - 85% - 88% and 89% and is level 6b in all the areas. She has no idea what kind of % scores she needs to reach 6a (her year end target). I feel that surely she can't be too far away? They were simply handed out as "those are you grades for Yr7"

She feels a bit demoralised as she thinks she's trying really hard but isn't going to meet her target. I kind of thought that if it's say 90% needed, then she isn't too far away and that may gee her up a bit!

Good grief, kids are hard work.....

Thanks llol39
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We don't know what papers they are using so cannot answer your question.

Sub levels are a but dubious anyway tbh; what specific targets has she got?

She could look at this:

http://www.kangaroomaths.com/kenny3.php?page=KassessKS3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scroll down for level 6 questions linked to APP, single level tests and the level 6 levelopaedia.