Helping DC in KS3

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Azure

Helping DC in KS3

Post by Azure »

For those parents who have helped DC with their 11+ work and perhaps before that with their maths and english: how have your DC coped with moving to secondary school. Have they still needed your help with maths and english? have you got tutors? Do they get more support from the school if they are a bit behind. Our GS here has 6 maths sets with 30 DC in each one. will they gert the support they need? I don't know if I could help with kS3 maths. :(
DC17C

Re: Helping DC in KS3

Post by DC17C »

I have been pleasantly surprised at how well DS is doing to be honest especially as he has a place following a non qual/ over sub appeal. No tutor needed and pretty good end of Yr7 results and DS getting some help for his handwriting as he is dyspraxic. The main way I have helped is translating his timetable into a version we can look at and understand easily and having one in his planner, one on the kitchen wall and one in DS's bedroom. The other thing I have done is helped with making sure everything he needs is in his bag each day.....I will hand that over to DS for Yr 8.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

English: their SPAG and writing is already very good, so I haven't really provided any input for English language.

Maths: I encourage them to revise for tests (using school textbook). One of them is very quick to understand new concepts in Maths. I encourage the other to tell me or his teacher if he isn't confident about a topic, so it cam be explained to him.

Languages: I find out the relevant vocabulary, print flashcards and test them when needed.

Sciences: I provide summary sheets from each topic they are studying (they are following the Exploring Science curriculum) and provide relevant questions from old KS3 papers for practice before end of year exams.

Humanities: I encourage them to make a mindmap on each topic, which can be used for revision later.
KB

Post by KB »

I would agree that the support they need is more likely to be organisational/ helping by testing them than actually explaining the work to them.

If they do get stuck its always worth going over that part of the text book with them and talking it through to encourage them to get there themselves.

There are also lots of online resources if particular topics prove tricky.

If DC has ongoing issues with a subject I would suggest they speak to the teacher for help and if necessary follow up yourself.

Long term tutoring is rarely needed but a short spurt with a good tutor can help overcome particular problems and/or boost confidence if other routes haven't helped.

I would just start by keeping good communication with your DC so you know what they are doing and what feedback they are getting. You know your DC best so can judge when to pull back. They need to learn independence but most also need to know that you are keeping a watch on them!
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

DS1 is just finishing yr8 and I've taken a big step back academically. I think at this age it's all about them developing independent study skills, and to be honest apart from science and maths neither me or my husband would be that much help!

I've encouraged him to keep his planner up to date, and given a bit of help on revision skills, but that's about it. My energy has definitely been focused on organisational skills.

We haven't even considered a tutor, his English took a bit of a dip earlier this year but the school dealt with it very quickly and he was soon back on track. I trust the school to bring out the best in him, and for him to work hard.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now