Going to Big School

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Re: Going to Big School

Post by Yamin151 »

tonbridgemum wrote:As far as 'costs' or voluntary contribution goes I tend to wait and see what my DS's actually join in with school before I dig deep. For example DS 2 was a keen sportsman and was always being driven around in the minibus at weekends which suited me fine! I was happy to contribute to the voluntary fund in this case. I thought it was fair enough.
DS 3 only attended chess club...quite frankly I didn't see that £50 a year contribution to the fund was fair amount for entertaining himself most lunchtimes !!
Now DS 4 school actually has only asked once for an initial contribution and once I have assessed what he has done this year (year 7) I will contribute appropriately!
This is is a great way to approach it. Really like this. Something we can feel comfortable with and is fair to the school.
Yamin151

Re: Going to Big School

Post by Yamin151 »

KB wrote:Assuming this is a state funded school then while it is the norm to ask for contributions (although the level varies) it cannot be enforced in any way and you do not have to contact anyone to explain why you are not paying. It is not the same as for specific trips etc.

You might get repeated reminders but you can just ignore them if you wish. Alternatively if you want to avoid that you could write to the Headteacher telling them what you are going to ( eg. make a payment later, pay a reduced amount) and make it clear you don't want to receive any further reminders.

Just do what you are comfortable with but don't feel under any pressure.
This is reassuring, and this isn't the schools either of our boys are going to, but it know at least one of the schools they will be attending will have a contribution encouraged! This helps, thank you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now