Coding Camps- Must or a waste of money

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
modernista

Coding Camps- Must or a waste of money

Post by modernista »

Really the topic says it all. Anybody with experience, advice?
Guest55

Re: Coding Camps- Must or a waste of money

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.bletchleypark.org.uk/edu/resources.rhtm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of free resources here ...
modernista

Post by modernista »

Thanks G55, just as soon I have decoded this...
nts

Post by nts »

Some more Maths would be better than coding :)

Good universities require pupils do Maths and Further Maths A Level in order to study Computer Science.
modernista

Post by modernista »

Hoping that coding camps inspire her to do computer science. Showing no inclination right now...
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

modernista wrote:Hoping that coding camps inspire her to do computer science. Showing no inclination right now...
Some of the coding camps are quite expensive when there is a lot available for free, as mentioned. The children we know who code do so without having attended any camps.

Does her school offer coding clubs or computer club as an extra curricular activity (lunchtime or after school)? If school does, and she shows no inclination, then a coding camp might not interest her unfortunately. It's a shame especially when a lot of schools don't seem to offer IT at GCSE either.

We have been quite fortunate that some ex students of DS1's school (who offer courses internationally) have decided to run a summer tech course at the school for a nominal fee. Had it been full priced then it's unlikely that he would have wanted to participate. I can let you know our thoughts afterwards if you like but I'm sure someone with experience of camps will be able to chip in.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Why is it called coding and not programming? Why has it popped up as a summer activity for children in recent years? Is it because of simple stuff like Scratch etc?
modernista

Post by modernista »

Python is taught as part of main IT curriculum but I am afraid I dont know enough to say whether it is taught to be interesting.
Are you saying if she isnt already interested, she probably will not find it interesting?
mystery

Post by mystery »

I am not sure if that is what Moseleymum meant, but it's certainly not necessarily the case. The teacher and the way they are taught, can, as with anything, make such a huge difference.

My experience as both a child and adult, particularly with IT, is that some teachers are terrible and others are great. Usually, for me though, the best kind of IT teaching has been a very clear manual from which you can teach yourself at your own pace, and someone good on hand to ask if you get stuck.

I remember teaching myself BBC basic from a book years ago and doing it on a computer at the same time. Then twice after that I was taught it as part of other courses ... but as part of a group lecture without a computer. That wasn't so good! Pretty boring really.

If loads of other children (beginners) have genuinely enjoyed these camps and learned something, then I'd say, if you can afford it, go for it.

Sometimes it can be school IT teaching that puts children completely off IT which is a great shame. If she sees good teaching and children enjoying it, maybe you can undo the damage. But equally, it may just be "not for her".
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

I completely agree that the teacher makes all the difference. What I was trying to say (badly!) is that coding camps aren't necessarily a "must" as many children get into coding without them.

A camp could spark an interest, in which case it may well be worth it. However I read your post as you wanting to put her into a camp that she showed no interest in, so there would be the possibility that once the camp was over, she might not be motivated to continue. Of course if you can afford it, then it's still worth a go.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now