Not joining clubs at club-heavy GS

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
southbucks3

Re: Not joining clubs at club-heavy GS

Post by southbucks3 »

Just let him be, it may be that the only way he will be interested in clubs is by friends telling him it's great and he should have a go.
As for uni, who says he will even want to do that?
One day at a time yamin, mapping out your kids life always backfires as some stage, if he wants to cone home and chill with his bruv, that's just fine, you obviously make home a nice place to be. :D

Currently persuading middle son that he needs to choose a sport....Dh and I need to reclaim some weekend and evening hours! Has anyone got any successful strategies for dumping the local footy team without tantrums and tears? Footy involves Saturday training, Sunday matches....all weekend! Rugby is at least only Sunday and one evening.
Currently he tries to fit both in. :? We need a reprieve from staring at mud!
Fit hockey in as well, as he envisages, and it all gets very silly!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

southbucks3 wrote:Just let him be, it may be that the only way he will be interested in clubs is by friends telling him it's great and he should have a go.
As for uni, who says he will even want to do that?
One day at a time yamin, mapping out your kids life always backfires as some stage, if he wants to cone home and chill with his bruv, that's just fine, you obviously make home a nice place to be. :ly!

Thanks :) and of course having same age bro at home is a great resource!

I must stress though that I have never mapped their lives out and I'm absolutely not starting now. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. As I said it was all about me, I never had any intention of persuading, that's not my bag. But this was to do with stopping MY demons from lapping at my feet, not passing on to him. Simple reassurance, rather than how do I persuade him. I don't see a problem with an expectation of university though. If they come to me with a plan that doesn't include it, no problem at all, but until they do, we do expect uni to give them the biggest possible choices in work, but as I say, so long as they plan then they can do what they like!
As for reclaiming your Saturdays etc. Buy him a bike?? Buy him a girlfriend?? Not sure really! We do make rods for our own backs don't we?!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Has anyone got any successful strategies for dumping the local footy team without tantrums and tears?![/quote]

Yup, don't pay the subs!

Sorry! We had the same dilemma and made them choose, but be careful what you wish for. We still stare at the same amount of mud but the ball is always the same shape now!! Rugby training twice a week and matches on Saturdays and Sundays.
KB

Post by KB »

No point sending them off to something they don't want to do.
Year 7 is already a big upheaval.

Joining something can help them feel more part of the school community though and some activities run through the school so allow them to mix with older boys which can helpful as well.

Maybe suggest choosing one thing to try? It can be easier at the start of term than part way through.

As for CV/ PS there is plenty of time to develop interests that will help build skills and experiences. It is much more about what they learn from participation than the participating per se and in year 7 they are already having to mature alot just coping with secondary school.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

doodles wrote:Has anyone got any successful strategies for dumping the local footy team without tantrums and tears?!
Yup, don't pay the subs!

Sorry! We had the same dilemma and made them choose, but be careful what you wish for. We still stare at the same amount of mud but the ball is always the same shape now!! Rugby training twice a week and matches on Saturdays and Sundays.[/quote]

Gahhhh

Just lost round one...."I will just train on Saturdays, I promise to tell the coach I cannot do matches." (This will not happen, he will get tetchy every time he misses a match for rugby training, just like last year, the coach will hassle us every week to do matches, just like last year.)

Yamin, we certainly do make a rod for our own backs, son number one was a homebody like your boy...until we stupidly encouraged him to row....He caught the bug! Now we spend a fortune transporting wet, sweaty teenagers from home to river and back at ludicrous times of day, pretty much every day!

There was an interesting radio programme a few months back re:university. Basically hinged around other ways to invest the 30k+ there were a few great success stories. Obviously the parents and teens need to be pretty savvy and have a plan for a good outcome though. 30k could buy a serious bit of aboriculture kit, mind you knowing my boys they would probably chuck us both in the tree mincer, flog the house and buy themselves sports cars!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

southbucks3 wrote:
doodles wrote:Has anyone got any successful strategies for dumping the local footy team without tantrums and tears?!
Yup, don't pay the subs!

Sorry! We had the same dilemma and made them choose, but be careful what you wish for. We still stare at the same amount of mud but the ball is always the same shape now!! Rugby training twice a week and matches on Saturdays and Sundays.

Gahhhh

Just lost round one...."I will just train on Saturdays, I promise to tell the coach I cannot do matches." (This will not happen, he will get tetchy every time he misses a match for rugby training, just like last year, the coach will hassle us every week to do matches, just like last year.)

Yamin, we certainly do make a rod for our own backs, son number one was a homebody like your boy...until we stupidly encouraged him to row....He caught the bug! Now we spend a fortune transporting wet, sweaty teenagers from home to river and back at ludicrous times of day, pretty much every day!

There was an interesting radio programme a few months back re:university. Basically hinged around other ways to invest the 30k+ there were a few great success stories. Obviously the parents and teens need to be pretty savvy and have a plan for a good outcome though. 30k could buy a serious bit of aboriculture kit, mind you knowing my boys they would probably chuck us both in the tree mincer, flog the house and buy themselves sports cars![/quote]

Oh My! Rowing! Soggy! Do you have to stand and watch? I'm thinking it's not always like a lovely Henley regatta??

As for investing the £30k, I'm not sure the govt allows the loan to be used for that, we certainly won't be providing it! Wish we could, but there you go, they'll learn early to do something worth working (as in part time job) for. But a savvy late teenager with a good plan is a force to be reckoned with and good luck to them!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now