Teacher gifts at christmas in secondary?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KB

Re: Teacher gifts at christmas in secondary?

Post by KB »

If a member of staff has been especially helpful or DC chooses to themselves then a thoughtful message in a card may well mean more than a mass produced gift.

And don't forget reception & office staff if they have been helpful too!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Yamin151 wrote:Think teachers do a great job, I really do, but so do I and many of my other working friends and none of us get gifts! My husband is a nurse and occasionally they get a box of chocs to share, which is lovely, but not expected
Absolutely agree Yamin. Which is why we gave a mega box of chocolates to the team of midwives at our local hospital after each of our children was born!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Which considering how dangerous childbirth used to be, is a lovely and appropriate thing to do! Phew for them (and I expect you did a pretty good job too!!! :lol: :wink: :wink: )
moved

Post by moved »

What about in the independent sector? Is it normal to send gifts in 6th form?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I'm thinking gifts in sixth form, whether indie or state are down to the pupil concerned. After all, they are meant to be young adults by then.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

OP, do what makes you feel comfortable. You can if you want and you don't have to if you don't want to. We send in gifts occasionally, depending on who the teacher is. Both of mine are at secondary school. We always give the form tutor a gift if for some reason they aren't continuing with the form but not to individual subject teachers. This year is an exception as DD seems to have the most popular teacher in the school as her form tutor and this person isn't leaving them. They seem to do fun things during form time, which is almost unheard of these days.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Students sometimes give gifts when they leave rather than at Christmas.
andanotherkentmum

Post by andanotherkentmum »

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. I think we can safely not worry then, unless my son decides he wants to make a special gesture (unlikely!).
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

KS10 wrote:OP, do what makes you feel comfortable. You can if you want and you don't have to if you don't want to. We send in gifts occasionally, depending on who the teacher is. Both of mine are at secondary school. We always give the form tutor a gift if for some reason they aren't continuing with the form but not to individual subject teachers. This year is an exception as DD seems to have the most popular teacher in the school as her form tutor and this person isn't leaving them. They seem to do fun things during form time, which is almost unheard of these days.

My eldest has the most unpopular teacher in the school as his form teacher, for the second year running.....lucky him. I can just imagine the somewhat robust comment if I suggested to my son that he take the man a Christmas present. :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

My mind is whirring SB3, I'm sure he could find something suitable :lol:

Whether the teacher would appeciate it is another matter ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now