stuck in English

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

solimum

Re: stuck in English

Post by solimum »

No way I can go far reading Shakespeare as a bedtime story
Dickens was written to be read, often in exciting weekly instalments!

Shakespeare was written to be performed, and comes to life on the stage, even if (as is frequently the case) you can't follow the detail of the language. If you haven't already done so, JaneEyre, I would urge you to book a trip to the RSC in Stratford ("other theatre companies are available") to see some Shakespeare as it was meant to be. Despite living less than half an hour away we haven't gone as often as we could, but we have seen some magnificent productions over the years (including recently Richard II with David Tennant and Antony Sher as Falstaff in Henry IV). Othello coming up soon! I always come away amazed at how it is possible to understand the deep emotions and passions underlying the characters' actions even when the actual content of the speech can be quite difficult to follow.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

We saw the Merchant of Venice this week - amazing!

JD
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd recommend the Globe for an authentic experience.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

We have been to a couple of Shakespeare productions held in Castles. They are fairly low key, take a picnic, family friendly outings. I really enjoy them.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The Globe is a fantastic experience.

Also remember going to see an outdoor performance of Twelfth Night with my 8 year old son and taking his Gameboy in case he got bored.

He got really involved in the play especially when Malvolio was tricked, he was chuckling like mad and didnlt even give teh gameboy a second glance.

Definitely meant to be performed, it comes to life. I still have horrible memories of A level English with the teacher reading Anthony and Cleopatra in a dull monotone or having us read it round the class.

Roman Polanski's Macbeth is also great, a former boyfriend of mine loved it saying " I even forgot they were talking weird"
doodles

Post by doodles »

yoyo123 wrote:. I still have horrible memories of A level English with the teacher reading Anthony and Cleopatra in a dull monotone or having us read it round the class.

Oh Yoyo you've just taken me back 32years to a hot and stuffy classroom that smelt of wood polish and our Australian English teacher. She was fantastic and left me with a love of literature that ranges from Chaucer to modern. Thank you to Mrs Phillips!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I was just thinking afterwards of a fantastic student teacher who made Shakespeare come alive, ( sadly. thanks to old age I have forgotten her name.)

She told us all about the Polanski film and I watched it the first time because of her.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

My Y7 did Shakespeare this year in English and really enjoyed it. I was rather surprised how much he wanted to talk about it especially being still quite young but definitely attribute his excitement to a good teacher. :)
doodles

Post by doodles »

A good English teacher makes such a difference to your enjoyment of literature and can instill an enthusiasm that last a lifetime.

Mind you an inspirational teacher in any subject is a blessing.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

My English teacher used to collect a few of us in her car, drive us to evening poetry readings, occasionally bringing her own daughter too who was slightly older, and buy us "a mineral" each out of her own money. It was a window into another world and dedication well beyond the call of duty.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now