Parent's involvements in schools

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kenyancowgirl

Re: Parent's involvements in schools

Post by kenyancowgirl »

"Whenever you are visiting a new school where PTA is mentioned now and then, it shows either the school is lack of funding or not being managed well.
A strong PTA = a weak schooling"

What an absolute load of tosh!!! :shock: I don't know what you are trying to do but you suddenly smack of gideon, aug2015. That is a sweeping generalisation based on what? Your experience in one school?

State schools operate on small margins; a head that recognises how a PTA can help fill any shortfall is a sensible head. Private schools have PTA's - in the main these are neither poorly funded schools and many are managed very well indeed.

To try and equate a strong PTA with a weak schooling is like trying to equate a well managed zoo with a poorly managed restaurant - it makes no sense whatsoever....
Last edited by kenyancowgirl on Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aug2015

Post by aug2015 »

My personal experience is nothing usual. It can happen anywhere. Hopefully not very often. PTA is not regulated but the school is(independent schools are not regulated at all???)
The chair of PTA is a demanding role. Running consecutively several years by the same person wouldn't make sense, because nobody is perfect. That could be one of the reasons his/her contributions could never be fully understood or appreciated.
All mothers are hard working, be it in a full time job or not. However some mums have too much time with negative attitude especially towards other parents, children, some teaching staff, the deputy head, the head... school events can be used as perfect opportunities for reasons only can be understood by themselves.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

"(independent schools are not regulated at all???)"

Eh? Independent Schools Inspectorate? Ofsted inspects some private schools. The independent Schools Council has a role....

A Chair usually stays for a stated term (period of time) which is detailed in the PTA Constitution - it is normally 2 or 3 years as changes every year can be counter productive. Quite often Chairs end up having to stay a whole lot longer as nobody wants to take on the tole - it is a bit of a poisoned chalice in that respect.
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

aug2015 wrote:PTA is not regulated
A lot of PTAs are regulated by the charities commission and have to publish annual audited accounts.
aug2015 wrote:The chair of PTA is a demanding role. Running consecutively several years by the same person wouldn't make sense, because nobody is perfect
Sometimes no else stands up for the role, I have known chairs who want to stand down after a period of time, but have not done so because no one else has volunteered.

(sorry crossed post with KCG)
doodles

Post by doodles »

"Independent schools aren't regulated" this comment is just wrong.

999 you are correct a lot of PTAs are registered with, and regulated by, the charities commission and have to produce audited accounts etc etc. They also have a responsibility to vulnerable individuals etc etc etc, all quite daunting and responsible believe me.

I spent three years in the Chair, the first year was to deal with the actual establishment of the PTA as it was detailed and in parts complex (but I have a related background and that's how I got roped in in the first place) and then I served a 2 year term as set out in the legal constitution. I then stood completely aside and in fact attended very few meetings as past chair because I wanted the new chair to have a clear run at things and because I wanted to spend my last year at the school as a "normal" parent attending events rather than running them.

I can only think that aug2015 has had a very bad experience at her dc's school which is sad but you can't paint every PTA / PTA committee member and supporter with the same brush. The majority are run and supported by normal, caring, hardworking parents who only want the best for their children and their school.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Is the term 'troll' springing into anyone else's mind, or is it just me?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

Having come down off the ceiling I think you may be right Toadmum especially as this is OP's one and only contribution the forum :lol:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

doodles wrote:Having come down off the ceiling I think you may be right Toadmum especially as this is OP's one and only contribution the forum :lol:
Not just me, then :lol: . The more I read, the less I am inclined to believe that this is actually real-life experience...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

I've obviously got too much time on my hands, it being the school holidays and all that. Must go and find something dynamic and organisational to do :lol: :lol:
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ToadMum wrote:Is the term 'troll' springing into anyone else's mind, or is it just me?
There is nothing at present to indicate that this is our regular visitor back again ...