General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

and they do two tiers 3-6 and 5-8
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Letts do a series called "The World of ... revision". Covers core subjects year by year. Pretty comprehesive and easier to digest than a full text book if you just want a quick summary followed by examples and questions.

I use the Maths with my daughter (her weakest subject) and sometimes she uses the science by herself to revise for end-of-unit tests.

Geoffrey
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Azzurri,

The STP books are rather 'dry' - there are better books around - if the original poster would register they are welcome to PM me.

Post by Guest »

Have you looked at The Essential Mathematics Series by David Raynor. Book 7 is equivelent to year 7 work and it is accompanied by a seperate answer book to stop 'cheating'. My son is now in year 9 and is working through book 9 with very positive results. Made level 8a at the beginning of year 9 in school tests.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:I can't reply without breaking forum rules re advertising! Have you looked at BBC site - good revision stuff which might help.
Hi there

I haven't checked for a consensus among my fellow super-mods, but I don't see a problem in posting the names of textbooks that are commonly used in schools.

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Thanx Super S-A.

I like the Oxford Framework books - they are published in various 'levels' - GS use the E books [Extension].

Other popular ones are
*Collins Frameworking - levelled questions in each chapter.
*Heinemann Connect - colourful and interesting questions
katel

Post by katel »

Terri - I think I would be a bit concerned that your daughter doesn't want the teacher to know. Could you not have a word with the teacher without your daughter knowing? What did they say about her maths at parent's evening?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Sally-Anne wrote:
Guest55 wrote:I can't reply without breaking forum rules re advertising! Have you looked at BBC site - good revision stuff which might help.
Hi there

I haven't checked for a consensus among my fellow super-mods, but I don't see a problem in posting the names of textbooks that are commonly used in schools.

Sally-Anne
Hi Terri & All

The Super-Mods have convened on this and we don't have a problem with textbooks that are used in schools being recommended in reply to a genuine request for help such as this.

We would recommend Terri that you check that the books are appropriate for the GCSE syllabus for your area though.

Sally-Anne
Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

thank you for the tips re maths books i will be going straight to WH Smiths and buying the dictionary for starters. Maths is not a subject my daughter enjoys and she doesn't particularly like her teacher also and I have to say I am completely hopeless, couldn't cope with year 7 fraction homework the other day. Thanks again
Terri

Post by Terri »

Thank you all so much, I shall get the books you recommend, especially the dictionary.I think the CGP workbook is a good fit for her too and I shall look closely at the text books you suggest and pick the one I think suit her best.
I don't want to worry anybody, I don't think the Y7 maths that my daughter is facing is really impossibly hard, she just seems to have gaps in her knowledge,she has no memory of ever studying negative numbers or algebra at primary school and the text book she was given didn't really help if you are new to the topic and needed to start at basics.Hopefully we can now close up these gaps and the next topics will be ones she remembers ......

Thank you
Terri