Latin or Art?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ginx

Latin or Art?

Post by ginx »

My dd is in year nine and has to choose her options.

She is mature and sensible, but a bit clueless about the future - one minute she is considering being a doctor - but then says she is interested in design!

She is doing triple science with her other subjects - leaving her to choose one more subject.

Her problem is that although she says she likes art (and does say she is interested in design), the teacher never singles her out for praise, appearing to prefer other students. Her grades are average and on target but not above, and she is average and on target for everything. She says she would choose art except she doesn't want to be bottom of the class for two years - she recognises other students are better than her. I've seen her art which looks quite good but I don't know.

She's always been good at Latin (how those Roman Mysteries helped!) and is also on target and average. As she is not interested in any other subjects, she does not know which to choose, art or Latin.

I really do not mind so long as she doesn't moan. I think she should choose art; but I see her point about being bottom of the class (if that happened). Former pupils now at university have given speeches and have mentioned what a waste of time Latin is, which she has absorbed too. Help!
quasimodo

Re: Latin or Art?

Post by quasimodo »

If your child is interested in becoming a Doctor I would choose latin.While words in medical terminology come from many langauages there are a huge number with both greek and latin routes.Up until the 18th century latin was the language of science in europe.

You also say she is good at the subject as compared to art.The objective must be to get the best grades at GCSE.

No language is a waste of time, particularly latin.From my perspective it was one of the reasons for choosing my youngest dds secondary school in finding a school which offered the language.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
doodles

Post by doodles »

It's a tough one for you ginx, especially if she's equal in both subjects. Does she have any idea what she wants to do at A level or for college/a job, that may help her decide.

For me it was a no brainer, loved Latin knew I wanted to do A level and in all seriousness I can't draw a straight line with a ruler. Both of my boys are similarly artistically, musically and dramatically challenged so their options were/are limited by that.

Ds1 knew he wanted to do history, geography and then opted for German instead of IT as his choices so the process was relatively simple. Ds2 really doesn't want to do German as well as French so is desperately trying find an alternative given that three subjects are already off the agenda. I'm hoping that when the options booklet is released later this term there may be something new on offer that appeals to him.

Good luck and remember whatever she chooses when the going gets tough it will be your fault (I speak from experience) but there will be no thanks when she gets an A/A* (again I speak from experience) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Art is a very time consuming GCSE ...
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:Art is a very time consuming GCSE ...
Just curious... I took art 'O' level and it didn't seem time consuming at all; how has it changed?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

For Art they need to keep a sketchbook and it's the subject I hear most often moaned about ... The final exam cuts across revision classes at the end of the course so is not popular.

Ginx - has she thought about Graphics? It's less time-consuming than Art but is more focused on design.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Choose Latin. It is a fantastic subject and certainly not a waste of time. Art is a nightmare. One mum commented to me that she felt her daughter had spent 50% of her time on Art and 50% on the other subjects during Y10 and Y11. DG
ginx

Post by ginx »

Guest55, her school does not offer Graphics. It does not offer many subjects, compared to our local comprehensive, which offers subjects like Resistant Materials and other design subjects.

Food tec, Business Studies, Computing, Art & Textiles (I must reminded dd she is not keen on sewing), Drama, PE, PRS and Music - or to do a second language or humanity. She is wondering now whether she could do art outside school hours.

Dd1 had the same problem at this stage, she was allocated Dance but chose Drama and Food tec which were the perfect choices for her. I had assumed Dd2 would be more decisive so am surprised. She has suggested she could do an French and Spanish or History and Geography but she seems to be clutching at straws.

Thanks for your advice - you all seem to favour Latin - I've told her I've consulted you all but she considers this to be a "geek site" and that you would all recommend Latin!

I was surprised to hear past pupils go into school and say Latin was a "waste of time". I can imagine it is very useful for medicine, and I do think she will pursue a career in medicine' maybe as a gp or pharmacology or research. I don't think she'll do anything creative. But Yamin, you're right. She will blame me whatever, if she doesn't like it!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Daogroupie wrote:Choose Latin. It is a fantastic subject and certainly not a waste of time. Art is a nightmare. One mum commented to me that she felt her daughter had spent 50% of her time on Art and 50% on the other subjects during Y10 and Y11. DG
I have heard this too. It's really time-consuming, which is great if you have a vocation to do something arty later; less so if you don't . My DD really loved Latin and felt it offered something which other subjects didn't. I am sad my sons didn't have chance to do it.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Hi Ginx,

I hope all is going well for your elder daughter in the sixth form

Re Latin or Art.
My middle one did both and I cannot agree more with eveyone who has said what an enormous amount of time art takes up, if they are a perfectionist, as mine is, it is even worse. Also the exam takes two days ( and the mock if they do one ) which caused anxiety over missed other lessons etc. Latin became an obsession, she also was a Roman Mystery fan, and she is now reading Classics at university.
I'm not sure how useful Latin is for medicine, my husband has carved a career without it and I don't think prescriptions are allowed to use phrases like BD, QDS , Nocte, etc as they did when I was a nurse, but it certainly has it's uses whilst watching University Challenge.

Marigold
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now