Year 7 Exams

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
amfnc

Year 7 Exams

Post by amfnc »

Hi there

DS is in Y7 at a local GS. I can see from the calendar that there are Year 7 end of year exams in June. Am I right in thinking that these are something that he will be expected to revise for and that the exams will cover everything from the beginning of the year and not just the last term? Also, he'll have exams in every subject?

Sorry if I'm asking the obvious! Also am I right in thinking that the end of year report and grades are taken from these exam results?

Thanks so much for any guidance!
Guest55

Re: Year 7 Exams

Post by Guest55 »

It depends on the school how many exams there are and what the results are used for.

I'm sure your DS will get an exam timetable and be told what to revise [it is usually the whole year's work]. You'd need to look at a reporting policy or assessment policy to see how the results are used. Some schools will use them for setting in Year 8, some will just use them as an 'experience' of formal exams.

You could ask the HOY [or similar person] for more details although I would expect a letter home at some point.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Amfnc, it is likely to be the case that he will have to revise for all of his subjects and, as Guest55 suggested, your DS should be given a detailed timetable of the exam week well in advance, probably at some point after Easter. If you'd like to find out sooner rather than later about the extent of the revision required, it seems like a perfect opportunity to get your DS to do some finding out from his teachers. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

Thanks both, very helpful :D
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

I think most schools have end of year exams, not just GS's. Most also do tests or on going assessment at the end of each module or term. The end of year ones are really just the same as ongoing assessment tests but the test covers learning outcomes over the whole year. I would advise you to make sure that your DC is taking comprehensive notes in lessons that will serve as revision notes when the time comes. I would also recommend that if your DC has days off school or misses lessons that you make sure that they know what they missed (last year my DD got a maths question wrong because she had missed the lesson for a music event). I know that last year my DD found the CGP revision books in all of the subjects very helpful in prompting her memory. They don't go into a lot of detail but it was enough to help her to make sure she hadn't missed anything.

In my view end of year exams and ongoing assessment tests are helpful for getting DC used to the pressure of exams. The more that they become desensitised to the process the better.

At DD's school they only set for maths, so it is mostly about making sure they are on target. She was given targets at the beginning of the year based on her CAT scores. It helps YP to see their progression. I am glad to say that at DD's school they drum into all the girl's heads that everyone progresses at different paces and that they shouldn't compare.