Year 7 Work book recommendations - maths and english

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PurpleDuck

Re: Year 7 Work book recommendations - maths and english

Post by PurpleDuck »

Guest55 wrote:This year the Junior Challenge entries have to be in by March 23rd ... competition is on Thursday 26th April.

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-comp ... /#ancDates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh, I see. DS is in Y10, so his must have been an Intermediate Challenge, not Junior, and it looks like those are earlier in the year. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Thank you for these dates G55 :)
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

I have stumbled on this quiz on idioms. It is rather easy so maybe for year 7 pupils (or even younger pupils if they are surrounded by people using an evocative language)

http://people.howstuffworks.com/fill-in ... i600003554" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Sleepyhead - I appreciate you asked this back in March but, a suggestion from me to you - AND ALL OTHER parents who also feel that their child is repeating Maths/English work in Grammar School (following intensive 11+ cramming) - by all means use the helpful resources that Guest55 suggests - they are fun and challenging and stimulating.

But, also encourage your child to extend their repertoire - join a club, make new friends - learn a musical instrument - try a new sport and increase their fitness - audition for a school play...there is so much more to the school that you fought so hard to get them into. Now let your child spread their wings and choose new activities that THEY want to have a go at and trust that the school (which you must trust as you fought so hard to get in!) knows how to prepare them steadily and appropriately for their exams...and more.

The more they feel they can try new things (some of which you will heartily endorse and some that may make you roll your eyes inwardly!) with your outward support - some of which will suit them and some of which they will drop fairly qickly - some within their comfort zone and some, hopefully, and more importantly, outside of it, means that, when they actually move completely out of your day to day control (to University, for example), they are more equipped to make solid, well reasoned, safe decisions.

Just my opinion....
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Another lovely quiz about idioms: :D
http://www.cristinacabal.com/?p=7619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Sleepyhead - I appreciate you asked this back in March but, a suggestion from me to you - AND ALL OTHER parents who also feel that their child is repeating Maths/English work in Grammar School (following intensive 11+ cramming) - by all means use the helpful resources that Guest55 suggests - they are fun and challenging and stimulating.

But, also encourage your child to extend their repertoire - join a club, make new friends - learn a musical instrument - try a new sport and increase their fitness - audition for a school play...there is so much more to the school that you fought so hard to get them into. Now let your child spread their wings and choose new activities that THEY want to have a go at and trust that the school (which you must trust as you fought so hard to get in!) knows how to prepare them steadily and appropriately for their exams...and more.

The more they feel they can try new things (some of which you will heartily endorse and some that may make you roll your eyes inwardly!) with your outward support - some of which will suit them and some of which they will drop fairly qickly - some within their comfort zone and some, hopefully, and more importantly, outside of it, means that, when they actually move completely out of your day to day control (to University, for example), they are more equipped to make solid, well reasoned, safe decisions.

Just my opinion....
Such excellent advice.I recall last year I felt my youngest dd was wasting a large part of her year in maths not withstanding the enrichment work she was doing which stopped in the summer term as her teacher concentrated on her GCSE exam pupils.On the opposite side we were given extra lessons for her vocabulary by the school in her first term and she did a little work in the summer on this and SPaG so that it was at the level it should be at.Her sister had a similar problem as did I and we each use the spoken and written language on a daily basis.My eldest dds problem was remedied by her school mine was something I corrected myself by my sixth form.Its something we shouldn't worry about and keep a sense of balance and perspective and let our children enjoy their childhoods.My youngest dd couldn't wait to go back to the school she loves for year 8.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

not a work book, just easy information about Shakespeare's style to be found here:
9 Tricks for Tackling Shakespeare

http://www.backstage.com/advice-for-act ... akespeare/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bee

Post by Bee »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Sleepyhead - I appreciate you asked this back in March but, a suggestion from me to you - AND ALL OTHER parents who also feel that their child is repeating Maths/English work in Grammar School (following intensive 11+ cramming) - by all means use the helpful resources that Guest55 suggests - they are fun and challenging and stimulating.

Just my opinion....
Good point

Post 11+, DD is enjoying lots of activities from cookery to martial arts to embroidery etc.

Sleepyhead have a look at uk maths challenge mentoring program, came across it the other day
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

For English, I purchased the fabulous Close Reading 11-14, by Hodder Education. It comes with answers. Helps kids gear up for the Reading Section of new 9-1 GCSEs. The CGP bears no resemblance to the KS3 Eng Curriculum. I outdoor go with GCSE 9-1 Eng Lang books. I suppose CGP s OK at this level.

For Mathematics, I recommend the Pearson Progression Workbooks. Pearson will email the answers. The book comes as a series of Books 1, 2 and 3 in one tier. There are 3 tiers, alpha, theta and delta. Delta is for the high ability learners. I like the books as they deal with thematic topics starting with easy, stretching and then extension questions. On a different note, I think the CGP Foundation and Higher are only good to learn the fundamentals.

For Science, never found anything really useful. CGP is the best of a bad bunch, and the questions in the white world rebook do not prepare students for EOY exams. The OUP Activate Science Series are useful but expensive f you buy all 3 books. OUP will reluctantly email answers upon request. I don't rate the Pearson Active Teach Scince books. It is overkill. You cannot get the answers anywhere, unless you teacher has the CD.

For Geography I think the Collins revision/Question Guide is more accessible than the CGP one.