Eastpak - which one?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Octsmum

Eastpak - which one?

Post by Octsmum »

Hi all

I've seen lots of recommendations on here for eastpak backpacks....having been to their site there are loads of different ones....so which have people gone for? There doesn't appear to be anywhere close where I can go look....

My DD is moving up to yr7. She's about average height. Is the Pakk'r one big enough? Provider one looks large. What about the others? I'm assuming that we'll take pe kit in a separate bag on the days needed - but they don't look to have anywhere to put a water bottle on the outside & I can see what might happen if its on the inside?

Also - do I wait until she's started to buy it so she can see what's 'cool' or not 'cool' or just get it sorted?

Thanks as always for reading & taking the time to reply!
kenyancowgirl

Re: Eastpak - which one?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Personally, I would muddle through with something cheap or old for the first week or so. Then, if there is a particular style or brand that "everyone" has, you can have an informed conversation about it.

A friend bought her son a very expensive Superdry messenger style bag for her son, which he coveted. He took it in the first day and realised that literally everyone else had rucksacks and he refused to use it again as he hated being different. We bought a functional plain black rucksack which actually DS1 used for about half a term till he upgraded to a better quality one in the same sort of style. The cheaper one was then used as the starting pack for DS2. Once they have been on a sports tour, they tend to use the rucksack that came as part of the kit.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

My daughter loves her Berghaus rucksack and water bottle holder on the outside seems to be a must. She isn't a crowd follower though so wasn't bothered about what everyone else took. DD2 is a different matter so I will follow the advice about not buying anything before she starts.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

We started with rucksacks, but DD doesn’t really like rucksacks and ended up with a leather satchel that has lasted several years (it wasn’t one of the expensive ones named after a well known university town either). One of the zips has recently given up (not surprising the way she shoehorns stuff in at times), but we were offered another one for free on a local ‘buy nothing’ FB group. I might see about getting the zip replaced at some point.
We still have the original jeep rucksack we got her 5 years ago and she still uses that for day trips etc.

We also ended up getting a separate hold-all for her PE kit. That’s lasted for a few years too.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I would second that Kenyancowgirl - wait til she gets there and see what’s what. I also think a water bottle holder on the outside is a must although DS has lost one this way so don’t buy anything too expensive. Name everything!
Decisiontime639

Post by Decisiontime639 »

My dd has a plain red Eastpak backpack. She’s had it since the start of year 7 so it’s lasted a good while!
Everyone has rucksacks apparently apart from one girl who has a a suitcase!
The most heavy thing for dd is her sports kit which is SO heavy and in a really bulky bag!
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Pak'r is the perfect size. DD chose one just after starting in y7 and it is still going strong in y12. She has toyed with others (Superdry, Kanken) but always comes back to the Eastpak.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

DS got his Eastpak Padded Pak'r backpack in year 9 (probably; it was ages ago anyway). He's at university now and it's still going strong. It's been on school trips abroad, family holidays and sports camps as well as daily school and university use. It appears to be indestructible.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now