Mouthguard advice - for a mouth full of gaps

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Reading Mum

Re: Mouthguard advice - for a mouth full of gaps

Post by Reading Mum »

doodles wrote:Nothing more from me on this one as every comment I make is obviously showing me to be a completely irresponsible mother.
Me too doodles - DD had a dentist fitted mouthguard which was the worst fit. Plus the goop made her physically sick all over the medical room :( They tried adjusting it several times and eventually gave up and refunded our money. With teeth still being lost and the prospect of a brace once the last 2 go I have opted for heat moulded as it actually stays in.
Amber

Post by Amber »

For feeling like a bad parent, taking a child to A&E with broken limbs sustained on a trampoline rates pretty high. :oops:
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Hmm. Yes having his teeth knocked out would obviously make him feel less confident in drama and in life generally I imagine. I had considered that.

I also would eat my hat if he were to discover any sport he liked, particularly if it were a contact sport. He's 11, he can't hit a ball with a bat, he can't kick a ball correctly or where he wants it to go, his catching is very hit and miss (literally) as is his throwing. I would be delighted were he to discover a sport he liked and would encourage him whole heartedly. I really don't think it's going to happen.

He is skin and bones, his Dad is 5'7'' of skin and bones, he is never going to be a rugby player.

Still unsure on the mouthgard issue. I can afford to purchase the dentist one but still wavering. I am definitely a bad parent.
SlighlyStressedMum

Chimera-Ma what did you decide in the end?

After much deliberating here we decided to get the school one done. It cost us £58. The mould was done yesterday at school, 6 out of 30 boys! Kind of wishing I had not bothered now. It had better be the dogs b******* of mouthguards!!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Wow! Our dentist is really reasonable....the mouthguards start at £30 for a single colour one .... with ones with logos etc coming in a bit more than that.
SlighlyStressedMum

This was a company / dentist that visited the school to do moulds of whichever boys wanted to. I fully expect it to be an excellent mouthguard, whether he needs it we will see! I assume the school gets a cut.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

This dentist does come into school to offer the service - and comes back after the mouthguards are delivered to be available to check and adjust the fit, if not perfect too. The school used to use Opro but they mouthguards proved to not be that great and the fit was variable, with no after-service/adjustments, hence they moved to a local dentist who is also a parent at the school. Simple move, massive improvement on service, cost and quality.
enema

Post by enema »

Does anyone have experience of mouthguards and braces? Presumably the self mould ones are better until braces come off. Dont really want to have to get a dentist/school fitted onevevery 3 months until teeth stop moving?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

We are about to enter that territory and have been told you can get special "brace" moulds from some orthodontist surgeries - ours doesn't do them, but I am reliably informed that you can go into another one and purchase it over the counter. However, I have also been advised by a dentist that it is possible to have the brace covered by plastic, before the mould is taken by them so that there is "space for teeth movement - admittedly these will have to then be checked every few months so are likely to be more pricey in the long run.
KB

Post by KB »

I would certainly consult your dentist and orthodontist first.
The boil and fit ones are tricky at the best of times and really not straightforward trying to do it with a brace. Never mind the actual physical difficulties but also stressful with a child who is already in discomfort from the brace.
Our dentist was able to scalpel adjustments to the initial brace for sometime before a new one was needed and we had the peace of mind knowing it would do its job if needed.
Many decide to go with boil to fit but the made to measure do offer something for the extra cost, although some companies do appear to be charging over the odds.