Parents' Evening

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Torrylee

Parents' Evening

Post by Torrylee »

Yesterday was our first experience of a secondary school parents' evening. Last week my Y7 son was presented with a list of time slots from 4.30pm until 7pm and had then to approach staff individually during lessons to book a slot with them. As a result our first appointment was at 4.35pm and the next at 6.10pm!! Teachers who teach more than one class were booked up very quickly so we only got to see about half of them and there was a lot of waiting around. Is this the usual system in secondary schools or does anyone know of a better one?!
guest8

Post by guest8 »

Our school has a very efficient system. The parents are each seated at a table and the teachers come to them. They have a list of the parents they need to see and which the number of the table where they are seated. We are given a list of the teachers and their subjects with a box next to each in which to note down any comments. It works very well certainly better than the mad free for all at our previous school!

Post by Guest »

Teachers who teach more than one class were booked up very quickly so we only got to see about half of them and there was a lot of waiting around. Is this the usual system in secondary schools or does anyone know of a better one?!
Yes this is usual and I found it very frustrating when my child was in year 7. However, by year 8 I did what everyone else did. If a teacher that I wanted to see (even if they were not on my list) was free I would politely ask if they were able to see my there and then. Not once did anyone say no. It was just a case of being very quick on my feet and very polite. Your school may have a policy of not allowing you to do this but I know it works at ours.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Torrylee,

That does seem strange - some schools have more than one Y7 evening to help with the situation where teachers take several classes.

Write to the school and ask for appointments to see those you did not see - another time just queue up - I've never turned a parent away!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Hi Torrylee,

Had a similar experience at the same school. Will send you a PM (post mortem?).

In the end I came away happy the teachers I saw knew my DS as an individual not a name on a score sheet.

It is very different from primary school but in the end it worked for us.

stevew61
Melx

Post by Melx »

Hi there

I remember being frustrated at my sons first one in year 7 last year. My sons Maths teacher hadn't been in for the last part of term and instead of having anyone there with even some notes, there wasn't anyone. We were given slots but the teachers were all behind and as a result we missed out on seeing three of them. I do understand with so many parents to see it is difficult and I can't imagine what it must be like to try to please everyone but I certainly feel core subjects such as Maths should be priority. I know some would argue if there isn't concerns it doesn't matter but I do believe that all comments are welcome including the positives and I know last year we missed seeing three Tutors who my son was looking forward to them giving us some very good feed back.

Whilst we are on this subject my son is now year 8 and I understand we will be invited to a Review meeting at his school in the new year which I assume will be about year nine and dopping subjects. Has anyone any experience of this and how do these children so young decide.

Mel