Grammar schools

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Catseye

Re: Grammar schools

Post by Catseye »

It is very worrying, the funding situation for all state schools but at least it will provide an incentive for GS to do what they are supposed to be doing, increase the life chances of the most disadvantaged in our society.

No doubt the likes of you and I could always go private to make space for the more needy.
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

Catseye wrote:It is very worrying, the funding situation for all state schools but at least it will provide an incentive for GS to do what they are supposed to be doing, increase the life chances of the most disadvantaged in our society.

No doubt the likes of you and I could always go private to make space for the more needy.
Speak for yourself!!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Miltonkeynes1 wrote:
Catseye wrote:It is very worrying, the funding situation for all state schools but at least it will provide an incentive for GS to do what they are supposed to be doing, increase the life chances of the most disadvantaged in our society.

Speak for yourself!!
No need to be cross.She was addressing me directly I believe.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Miltonkeynes1 wrote:

Speak for yourself!!
My fellow member I was referring to my old friend QM, not your goodself.

I know it is stressful time for you and you want the best for your children but I hope you now know if your kids do not make grammar standard ( 75% don't) not all is lost with a loving parent like yourself your children will thrive come what ever.

All this talk of the superiority of GS over comps is dispiriting for most of the members and lurkers on here- most will not make it-it's not fair, not necessary or even true.

Good luck.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

@MK1
Parents would evaluate all the options and in my experience, where children can get into grammars or partially selective schools, that option has been taken by most parents, even if they dislike 11plus tests.

If they didn't want their children to go to selective or private schools, they would not have put up with 11+ preparations.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

tiffinboys - some people have no option than to choose a GS or an Upper. What would you suggest we do?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Grammar or an Upper? Is Upper not a school?

With all due respect, choice is there, if parents don't want selective school or even 11+ tests. I gather that even in Bucks, opt-out is an option. As I read, many Uppers are good schools with outstanding teachers.

Many regions don't have choice of grammars, but every region has choice of non-selective schools.
Guest55 wrote:tiffinboys - some people have no option than to choose a GS or an Upper. What would you suggest we do?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

So, let me get this right - you think that Bucks parents should, if they are anti 11+, send their children to Secondary Modern schools?

Our local one does not offer triple science - when a child gets 100% in the KS2 Science tests then you think this is a sensible choice? I could point out other differences which would not be there if we had a local comp which would have been our preference.

I think this thread has run its course ...
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

My original point was as follows:
Parents would evaluate all the options and in my experience, where children can get into grammars or partially selective schools, that option has been taken by most parents, even if they dislike 11plus tests.
My point still is that for variety of reasons, pastoral was mentioned before as one, grammars comes on top.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

New grammar schools by 2020 for the top 10% in national tests.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38906594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now