School League tables

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiffinboys

Re: School League tables

Post by tiffinboys »

We all have bad days and if the exam was a blip in an otherwise pretty decent year, then why would they refuse and risk jeopardising his university offers?
League table mania, trying to show who has the power or attempt to subdue the boys. May be all of these. Looks like QE is not alone.

In my view, instead of stopping the boy attending the lessons, School should have raised the support level. What would they have to say about their grade predictions?
Catseye

Re: School League tables

Post by Catseye »

newgal wrote:Thanks all.

Yes he has a few offers already and predicted grades based on AS were A*AA. He is always late to the party as far as studying goes but he does put in tremendous effort from half term onwards.

Currently looking in to whether we can do it privately with tuition. I hope so as he absolutely has the potential.
I am assuming his predicted grade was A in the subject that he has slipped up on.

How far has he slipped ? To a B or C or worse ?

With hard work a C and be turned to an A given he was doing well in yr 12.

The school must be aware that all decent Unis give offers on at least 3 A levels and often at the end of the day will accept at least one grade below the offer grade except for the most competitive course/unis.

Even RG unis often accept one or sometime 2 grades lower( they like to big themselves up on unrealistic grade demands).

What course does he want to do ? Where are the offers -then there is data on the actual grades accepted for the subject/unis.

Armed with this information then you can make a good case with the school, their main interest should be the best interest of their pupils not their league tables-make that point forcefully but politely-prick their conscience, most teachers are reasonable and kind.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now