School League tables

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

newgal

Re: School League tables

Post by newgal »

My son has just been informed that his grammar school will not be entering him in to one of his A2 exams and that he can't go to
the lessons. He did well in his AS last year but failed his recent mock. He has had to face selection in year 7 and to get in
to both yr 12 and 13. His uni offers are based on 3 A levels so he is now unlikely to be going. It seems unfair
and unjust that he isn't given the chance. Any suggestions?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Has he been doing the homework? Was there any warning re his underperformance e.g. letter home?

Ask for a meeting with the Head of Sixth Form; this sort of decision should be based on lots of evidence. I wouldn't have thought they could stop him going to lessons as they are receiving funding for him and it is after the January census.

Would they allow him to pay for the entry?
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

newgal wrote:My son has just been informed that his grammar school will not be entering him in to one of his A2 exams and that he can't go to
the lessons. He did well in his AS last year but failed his recent mock. He has had to face selection in year 7 and to get in
to both yr 12 and 13. His uni offers are based on 3 A levels so he is now unlikely to be going. It seems unfair
Hello Newgal, that sounds dreadful, I'm really sorry to hear this has happened to your son.

I'd follow the advice you've got from Guest55 and you could also re-post your message in the '6th form' section of the forum (there are a number of threads there, so have a look and see which one would be most relevant), and I'm sure other forum members will be able to offer advice, too. Here is the link: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... m.php?f=57" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

Amber wrote:One of my saddest experiences was when working for a hospital education service with some very sick children. On two separate occasions the same (state grammar) school refused to allow my students to sit for a foundation level GCSE as they didn't want a lower grade on their league table stats. One had a very serious physical condition and the other a serious mental health issue which also impacted heavily on physical health. Both had worked tremendously hard to get to the stage where they could even consider sitting an exam. It told me a lot about that particular school. Both sat the exam through a local college in the end.
:( :( :(
salsa

Post by salsa »

newgal wrote:My son has just been informed that his grammar school will not be entering him in to one of his A2 exams and that he can't go to
How awful! Have you asked if this has happened to other children and how they challenged the school?
What happens if he takes the exam privately? My understanding is that the results still go on the school's league tables, but could they stop your son from taking it?

Salsa
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I think this goes on a lot in the private sector but I was not aware that it happened in state schools.

It does indeed seem very unfair and we are often very quick to condemn schools like QE for their harsh 6th form entry requirements something should be done to prevent this type of manipulation of school league tables because surely that is what it is all about.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

It is shame really as there is still sufficient time to catch-up and do remedial work, specially as there was no concern till start of the year. What were the grade predictions as the boy did get Uni offers?

Most Uni would ask for three A levels at the same sitting, so that would be another aspect to consider.
salsa

Post by salsa »

tiffinboys wrote:It is shame really as there is still sufficient time to catch-up and do remedial work, specially as there was no concern till start of the year. What were the grade predictions as the boy did get Uni offers?

Most Uni would ask for three A levels at the same sitting, so that would be another aspect to consider.
At the same sitting? So, if the boy takes it externally but in the same period, it would be okay, wouldn't it?
newgal

Post by newgal »

Thanks all.

Yes he has a few offers already and predicted grades based on AS were A*AA. He is always late to the party as far as studying goes but he does put in tremendous effort from half term onwards.

Currently looking in to whether we can do it privately with tuition. I hope so as he absolutely has the potential.
Amber

Post by Amber »

newgal wrote:Thanks all.

Yes he has a few offers already and predicted grades based on AS were A*AA. He is always late to the party as far as studying goes but he does put in tremendous effort from half term onwards.

Currently looking in to whether we can do it privately with tuition. I hope so as he absolutely has the potential.
If that is the case and his predicted grades were like that, then on the face of it he has reason to be arguing vociferously with the school. Unless there is something else going on with him - he hasn't just stopped working, fallen in love or developed a wild social life?- then the action of the school is pretty draconian and my suggestion would be to encourage your son to seek an immediate meeting with whoever took the decision, taking you along for backup if necessary. I would advise him to be seen to take responsibility for the failure, seek advice and help to address the issues and explain that he fully intends to work his socks off between now and June. If the school then persists with this line I would step in myself and offer to complain to the governing body. We all have bad days and if the exam was a blip in an otherwise pretty decent year, then why would they refuse and risk jeopardising his university offers?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now