what do the abbreviations mean??

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

food4thought

what do the abbreviations mean??

Post by food4thought »

hello all,

can anyone explain what these silly abbreviations stand for??
DS DC
I think that MIL is mother in law
PS is personal statement

Are there any others that would help me see the world clearer?

thank you
F
JaneEyre

Re: what do the abbreviations mean??

Post by JaneEyre »

This list will help you! :wink:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... faq.php#f1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not sure that I think that these abbreviations are silly. :wink:
Maybe a good place to start understanding the forum better is reading here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... um_faq.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doodles

Post by doodles »

DC = darling/dear child
DS = darling/dear son
DD= darling/dear daughter

Then there's wife (Dw) , husband (DH) partner (dp) and other half (oh)

They may seem a little silly but they do save an awful lot of typing! :D
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
food4thought

Post by food4thought »

thank you everyone, the list and link is helpful... i can sleep better now..... but still think they are silly :lol:
salsa

Post by salsa »

food4thought wrote:thank you everyone, the list and link is helpful... i can sleep better now..... but still think they are silly :lol:
These days where we have autocompletion on browsers and phones, do we still need the abbreviations?

My son told me the LOL joke, where the mum tells her son, by text, that her son's great aunt had died, then she typed LOL. The son asks what's so funny, but the mum had meant Lots Of Love!

Salsa
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

food4thought wrote: i can sleep better now..... but still think they are silly :lol:
I see your point as initially, many of us are all a bit taken aback by these initials… but eventually, we all get the hang of it! :D
There are also usually acronyms or initials used instead of the full name of GS ( grammar schools :wink: ) or private schools as it is rather long to write repeatedly long schools’ names. For example ‘Sutton Coldfield Grammar School for Girls' is referred to as ‘SCGSG’: just five letters instead of around 36!
salsa wrote: My son told me the LOL joke, where the mum tells her son, by text, that her son's great aunt had died, then she typed LOL. The son asks what's so funny, but the mum had meant Lots Of Love!
I like this joke, Salsa. Thank you for sharing! :D
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

salsa wrote:My son told me the LOL joke, where the mum tells her son, by text, that her son's great aunt had died, then she typed LOL. The son asks what's so funny, but the mum had meant Lots Of Love!
I know someone who actually did this for real when a friend's cat died and had always thought LOL meant Lots Of Love! :shock:
I think that MIL is mother in law
Not to be confused with MILF which apparently stands for something completely different (don't ask!)... :|
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now