Maths challenge gold kangaroo

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hbsseal

Re: Maths challenge gold kangaroo

Post by hbsseal »

pushymother wrote:This is exciting. My ds was told yesterday he was the only one of the seven that took the test in his primary to qualify for the kangaroo round. He is year 6 and got an 89
Yes, 89 in Y6 is quite impressive (within top 3% of everyone who took the test, which is mostly Y8s).

It though raises the question of how much value does the so-called 'top' grammar and independent secondary schools really add. For example, Henrietta Barnett, which is meant to be the #1 ranked grammar school in the country and where ALL pupils in Y7 and Y8 sit the test, the highest score in JMC was 110.

My daughter got 116 in Y6, and your DS score is not far from that either.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You misunderstand the UKMT challenge - it is NOT about knowledge at all.

Some schools will coach for it whereas others just play it very low-key.
hbsseal

Post by hbsseal »

Guest55 wrote: it is NOT about knowledge at all.
It is very much about knowledge to the extent that sound knowledge is necessary to do well. If your point though is that merely a knowledge of topics is not sufficient to get a high score that's correct.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can guess answers so I disagree ... there is little KS3 content so Year 6 know enough to do well.

I'm not sure why posters feel they need to post scores, especially of others - not appropriate imho.
idl

Post by idl »

Hi all,
Can someone through some light on how these UKMT challenges and enrolling works please.

Can I get my son participate in it on individual registration or should he be allowed only through school.

A bit confused from what i read in the website and my son's school head teacher doesn't know and never sponsored any from their school. Will there be no other chance.

i'm talking about my son in Year 5.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

He should start with the Primary Maths challenge really.

Details here: http://www.primarymathschallenge.org.uk/what-is-the-pmc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If he does well and gets to the national bones round then think about the JMC.

The school needs to enter him - there is a form to download on this page: https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-competitions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I volunteer for UKMT so PM me if there is a problem.