The benefits of play an instrument

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: The benefits of play an instrument

Post by ToadMum »

I doubt that Newstead Wood would be encouraging applications to universities which state entry requirements in terms of UCAS points, would it?

(Slips away now to have a look for NW Leavers' Destinations - perhaps they are more broadminded than some grammar schools :lol: ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

JaneEyre wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:As a tick box for "good skills to have" - none whatsoever. :shock:
Maybe not a tick the box but certainly an ability to enjoy classical music and to have it as relaxation tool and one for boosting the morale! :D :D

I am one of those who started to play piano at 5 and went on playing daily my half an hour per day till I was 18 (except holidays when we were away)… I sadly stopped when I went to university when I had reached a rather interesting level (Ahhh, this concerto 21 by Mozart! How beautiful!). Once at uni, no piano then…and no time either to play. :(
Life has then sadly taken me to other countries with often no money… nor opportunities for this kind of pursuit. :cry:

However, I retain this love for music and love for beauty and find peace in listening to some of my favourite pieces. I will always be grateful to my parents who has instilled in me (and all of us - the children) this love for beauty and particularly for classical music. :D
I feel privileged to have been surrounded by such beauty during all my childhood. Most breakfasts were accompanied with music played on a tape! :D
Oh yes, agreed. I was brought up with music, mostly classical and played piano, cello and clarinet until age 14 or 15, to a reasonable standard. Interestingly, after 27 years of not playing, I took up my cello again. I also tinker on the piano so thats great and I completely agree with you. My sons were both encouraged and played cornet and the other violin and chorister from age 6. They both did really well and reached a good standard but for us, teenagerdom has overcome their pleasure for playing I'm afraid and I suppose I wanted to express that whilst this is disappointing, I would not dream of trying to persuade them to carry on, and any parent trying to get the child to begin because of potential UCAS points is starting out on a wrong path I think.
Hopefully my boys will never lose the musicality they built up and may even take up thier instruments again one day, who knows. Can't win 'em all!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

ToadMum wrote:I doubt that Newstead Wood would be encouraging applications to universities which state entry requirements in terms of UCAS points, would it?

(Slips away now to have a look for NW Leavers' Destinations - perhaps they are more broadminded than some grammar schools :lol: ).
I haven't got that far as DD is only in Year 8, it was a comment by DD's singing teacher who is not attached to the school and what I meant was that if anything it saddens me that this might be a motive of some as indicated by the teacher.
enema

Post by enema »

Musical grades can be used for UCAS points? That seems so unfair on those who have been unable to afford music tuition surely?

(ahh the absurdity of posting this on an 11+ tuition website)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

enema wrote:Musical grades can be used for UCAS points? That seems so unfair on those who have been unable to afford music tuition surely?

In reality, points gained from music or drama awards are only of any help to those applying to universities which quote entry requirements in terms of UCAS points rather than grades - so not the likes of Oxbridge / LSE / Warwick etc. And whilst not completely a barrel-scraping exercise, I think the most points gained from a grade 8 pass with Distinction is something like 30, less than a C grade A level.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Hera

Post by Hera »

enema wrote:Musical grades can be used for UCAS points? That seems so unfair on those who have been unable to afford music tuition surely?

The whole point of the post was to make the point that music has nothing to do with academic endeavour but everything to do with pleasure. Also as an aside the responses have been fantastic and helped me to justify the sacrifices we make to pay for multiple music lessons each week.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Just to add, even universities that specify the number of points usually state that they have to be from 2/3 A2s. I imagine the points might count for a music course (or LAMBDA points for a drama course).
OP, you are right to carry on with the music lessons for as long as they enjoy them.
scary mum
enema

Post by enema »

...I didn't mean the original post was absurd; I merely meant that my slight grumbling about the inequality of potentially getting ahead if you can afford to pay for something - ie music tuition - is probably not ideally placed on a web forum fundamentally about paying for tuition for the 11+. That was the absurdity alluded to.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

enema wrote:...I didn't mean the original post was absurd; I merely meant that my slight grumbling about the inequality of potentially getting ahead if you can afford to pay for something - ie music tuition - is probably not ideally placed on a web forum fundamentally about paying for tuition for the 11+. That was the absurdity alluded to.
This website is about encouraging DIY not paying for tutoring ...

Some schools use PP money to support music lessons so it is open to more than people who can pay. Some schools also subsidise and give free lessons.

A grade 6, 7 or 8 could help if you just miss an offer ... I've seen it happen.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Ahem..............I have no idea of the benefits of playing an instrument but what I can say is it cost me £5000 for a beautiful piano that did my bank balance no 'benefit' at all :lol:

Still a lovely white elephant in the lounge that no one plays :evil: