DD finding maths not challenging enough

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bluesea

Re: DD finding maths not challenging enough

Post by bluesea »

Decision. One of my maths-mad DC is at selective secondary indie. The school recognised DC's ability almost immediately so provide extra higher level extension sheets in every lesson. They provide lunchtime and afterschool clubs for the maths high-achievers and my DC enjoys being part of the competition teams. Your school should be falling over themselves to encourage your child if that is their interest. It will be to the benefit of the school too when public exam results come around.

In your position I would go to the head of maths, not the current teacher. If most of the class are bored then something is wrong. Email asking for a telephone call. Be polite but firm. Ask them what they can do to challenge your DC. Other resources to look at at home are great, but push the school first.
piggys

Post by piggys »

Private schools are under no obligation to employ qualified teachers so perhaps you ought to enquire about their credentials.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

DD finding maths not challenging enough

What's the rush ?

Chillax -take it easy concentrate on the other weaker subjects- consolidate- put your feet up, maths is easy-the hard stuff will come almost to infinity of complexity .
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Piggys. Your point is very out of date. Since 2012, when the government changed the rules, there is no obligation to employ qualified teachers (those with QTS - Qualified Teacher Status) at many types of schools, state free schools and academies. Indies have always been exempt from this. Many state schools are now using cover supervisors, paid £20 per hour or less, to cover lessons. I have had DCs at state, state grammar and indie. I found the staff at the indie to be extremely well qualified in their field and I don't think we were just lucky. Many indies pride themselves on their expert and well-rounded teaching staff. One of my DCs had science teachers at their state grammar who were not very good.

Decision. I still suggest you speak to the school after the holiday.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

bluesea wrote:Piggys. Your point is very out of date. Since 2012, when the government changed the rules, there is no obligation to employ qualified teachers (those with QTS - Qualified Teacher Status) at many types of schools, state free schools and academies. Indies have always been exempt from this. Many state schools are now using cover supervisors, paid £20 per hour or less, to cover lessons. I have had DCs at state, state grammar and indie. I found the staff at the indie to be extremely well qualified in their field and I don't think we were just lucky. Many indies pride themselves on their expert and well-rounded teaching staff. One of my DCs had science teachers at their state grammar who were not very good.
Just because the rules have changed does not mean your experience is common. Just look at staff lists at GS and Private schools - there are FAR more unqualified staff at Private schools. I do think you have been lucky so far at the Private schools ...
Last edited by Guest55 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Decisiontime639

Post by Decisiontime639 »

All the teachers in her school are definitely qualified...

In the meantime she will look on Enrich, which she finds useful for some maths problems.
piggys

Post by piggys »

bluesea wrote:Piggys. Your point is very out of date.
Really ? Am I wrong? Private schools are under no obligation to employ qualified teachers and frequently do not. These schools are simply not subject to the scrutiny of those in the state sector. There are plenty of preps and private schools in my area ( N London and Herts) where this is the case.

My comments are not 'out of date'- they are true.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

piggys wrote:
bluesea wrote:Piggys. Your point is very out of date.
Really ? Am I wrong? Private schools are under no obligation to employ qualified teachers and frequently do not. These schools are simply not subject to the scrutiny of those in the state sector. There are plenty of preps and private schools in my area ( N London and Herts) where this is the case.

My comments are not 'out of date'- they are true.
I certainly know of several private schools where this is very common. They are the less selective ones who attract parents who think that indie is always better regardless of reality.
Amber

Post by Amber »

The Conservatives have been systematically reducing the requirement for teachers to be qualified since they were in Coalition. In 2012 it was ruled that academies could employ people without QTS, bringing them into line with free schools and independent schools which have always had that right. It is dressed up in the rhetoric of 'freedom to employ the brightest and best' and came at around the same time as it was decided that former members of the armed forces were ideally suited to being sent to teach in schools. The Teach First thing which is also marketed as a good idea ('getting the brightest graduates into teaching') is allied to it and is another erosion of the professional status of teachers. The extreme neoliberal policies of the right wing tend to devalue teaching as a profession and refer to it as something which can be 'trained' for rather than 'educated in'. That private schools have always been at the forefront of employing unqualified staff is unsurprising. I think only maintained schools (of which there are now relatively very few) require staff to be 'working towards qualified teacher status'.

In terms of a Y8 not finding maths challenging, I would say suck it up and wait and see - you get incompetent teachers in all sectors and Y8 is not a very important year - along with Y4 I regard it as a total waste of time frankly. But then I would, wouldn't I? :wink:
piggys

Post by piggys »

Amber wrote:The Conservatives have been systematically reducing the requirement for teachers to be qualified since they were in Coalition. In 2012 it was ruled that academies could employ people without QTS, bringing them into line with free schools and independent schools which have always had that right. It is dressed up in the rhetoric of 'freedom to employ the brightest and best' and came at around the same time as it was decided that former members of the armed forces were ideally suited to being sent to teach in schools. The Teach First thing which is also marketed as a good idea ('getting the brightest graduates into teaching') is allied to it and is another erosion of the professional status of teachers. The extreme neoliberal policies of the right wing tend to devalue teaching as a profession and refer to it as something which can be 'trained' for rather than 'educated in'. That private schools have always been at the forefront of employing unqualified staff is unsurprising. I think only maintained schools (of which there are now relatively very few) require staff to be 'working towards qualified teacher status'.

In terms of a Y8 not finding maths challenging, I would say suck it up and wait and see - you get incompetent teachers in all sectors and Y8 is not a very important year - along with Y4 I regard it as a total waste of time frankly. But then I would, wouldn't I? :wink:
+ 1.