Your thoughts on Kumon

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Your thoughts on Kumon

Post by Guest55 »

timothylewin wrote:if you have money to spare then it won't do any harm will it?
Actualy I believe it does -it is focused on arithmetic as I have said - it is not focused o probelm solving which is the heart of mathematics.

If you choose to throw your money away on something like this then it's similar to advocating a fast food diet for a professional athlete.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Having had sight of Kumon English worksheets in the past, knowing that the parent actually had to do the marking, plus I know they are using teenagers as tutors (since DDs friend has been working for them) I have to wonder what you are actually paying kumon to do.

It doesn’t strike me as being the best use of money. I’m sure a half decent qualified maths tutor would cost much the same, will tailor their tutoring to suit the individual and be much better value for money.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have often wondered the same and have asked Kumon loving parents about this. The response is that they like having something for their students to do in the evening and at weekends and it is one way of keeping them off the computer games. I have pointed out that they can buy lovely colourful focused workbooks from Smith for a couple of quid that are actually closer to the format of the eleven plus and other school exams. DG
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Not first hand experience here, but I have friends who have used it as an addition to 11+ preparation, and thought it was helpful in getting their children faster at mental arithmetic, which had a positive knock on effect on their overall maths abilities. This been said I would not use it beyond 11+, but again if there are holes in some basics notions this might help some children catching up, but definitely not if one is looking for a challenge IMO.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You can get faster at Mental Arithmetic by buying Mental Arithmetic books from Smiths or Waterstones and doing them under timed conditions.

What is the difference? Kumon make you mark it so the only difference is buying the books. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can get faster at arithmetic by using free online games ...
Amber

Post by Amber »

Daogroupie wrote:You can get faster at Mental Arithmetic by buying Mental Arithmetic books from Smiths or Waterstones and doing them under timed conditions.
Guest55 wrote:You can get faster at arithmetic by using free online games ...
You can get through life with average speed mental arithmetic, and you can get A*/9 at GCSE and A* at A level with average speed mental arithmetic as well.

Being able to do things fast is not always a virtue. :wink:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Indeed. DDs mental maths isn’t great (she never wanted to practise) but is predicted 8/9 for gcse maths and her maths teacher asked if she was going to do F maths at A level.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

True re arithmetic - accuracy is more important I was just trying to prevent people spending money when there are free resources.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you read through the thread Amber you will see that the points you have highlighted were not suggestions of things you should do but responses to the assertion that Kumon is worth the money because it increases Mental Arithmetic speed.

We were suggesting cheaper ways of increasing your MA speed rather than paying £90 a month for MA you have to mark yourself. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now