Maths challenge gold kangaroo

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

berks_mum

Maths challenge gold kangaroo

Post by berks_mum »

Few days ago DD told us she has got a gold kangaroo in Maths challenge and it seems she will sit one more round of the test. This is all very unexpected for us. I thought if she doesn't qualify for olympiad then she is done with the test. What happens at the second text? Is it worth sitting? Does she need any preparation(like 11+) or is it purely ability based?
Tinkers

Re: Maths challenge gold kangaroo

Post by Tinkers »

There might be more info on the UKMT website, otherwise I expect G55 will be along soon and know more.
Well done to DD.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Well done to her!

She's not quite right - she has got a gold in the Junior challenge and been invited to the kangaroo follow-on round. More information here:

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-comp ... challenge/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-comp ... -kangaroo/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She could look at the papers to prepare but there's no 'input' needed.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Thanks Tinkers and G55. I should have googled and replied earlier. The new job is keeping me on my toes.
G55 the same website says this -

https://www.ukmt.org.uk/individual-comp ... challenge/
The Junior Challenge 2017 thresholds:
Bronze 52-62 Silver 63-76 Gold 77+ Kangaroo Qualifier 86-106 UK only Olympiad Qualifier 107+
According to what DD told me and this website, I thought Kangaroo was a group between gold and olympiad. Not everyone who gets a gold will go on to the next round? Am I missing something?

Anyway, what is the purpose of the Kangaroo second round? Does it open any other possibilities?
The website says just this -
Following a successful pilot in 2015, a further several thousand pupils from across both year groups will be invited to sit the Junior Kangaroo paper. This is a one-hour paper with 25 multiple-choice questions and, like the JMC and JMO, sat in school. This means that a Kangaroo paper is available across all age groups in our Challenges, and significantly increases the number of pupils given an opportunity to sit a follow-up round to the JMC.
Tinkers, On a side note I am glad Kendrick gives the opportunity to girls from all sets to sit the Maths Challenge. Last year some worried DDs/parents were relived to hear this. This year a good number of DDs have gold from the middle set I am told.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You are right that not all 'golds' get invited to participate in the Kangaroo round; however it is still called a 'gold'.

The idea of the follow-on round is to give students another chance to do some more maths and get an award if they do well. It's a way of them showing potential and maybe getting mentored [see website].

In my opinion all GS students should enter the JMC; some Bucks Uppers [Sec mods] enter students as it's a maths focused challenge.

Higher up the school a good score in the IMC can get an invitation to a Summer School.

Over the years I've noted that some good mathematicians do not do particularly well at the Challenges and others in lower sets sometimes outshine them. UKMT is a charity and I do some volunteering to support their activities.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Guest55 wrote:You are right that not all 'golds' get invited to participate in the Kangaroo round; however it is still called a 'gold'.

The idea of the follow-on round is to give students another chance to do some more maths and get an award if they do well. It's a way of them showing potential and maybe getting mentored [see website].

In my opinion all GS students should enter the JMC; some Bucks Uppers [Sec mods] enter students as it's a maths focused challenge.

Higher up the school a good score in the IMC can get an invitation to a Summer School.

Over the years I've noted that some good mathematicians do not do particularly well at the Challenges and others in lower sets sometimes outshine them. UKMT is a charity and I do some volunteering to support their activities.
Thank G55.

Yes, all children should be given a chance. IIRC in some schools only the top set is given the opportunity. I can't remember DD doing this in primary school.

Mentoring, this is only for those who have qualified for the olympiad rounds, right? Not for Kangaroo.

Could it possible that the first round doesn't suit some DCs as they are unwilling to take the risk of doing questions resulting into negative marking?

I am happy to know that it is a charity and you volunteer to support it's activities.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

At Junior level the mentoring is 'in school' so there is some flexibility. If she does well in the kangaroo [which is fairly new at Junior level] then talk to her teacher if your DD is keen. Did you see some of the material is on the site so she could have a go herself anyway.

Only the later questions in the challenges are negatively marked but the 'type' of maths does not suit all.

Does her school have some of the UKMT books in the library? Many maths departments will have a collection and they're a good source of problems.
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

Guest55 wrote:At Junior level the mentoring is 'in school' so there is some flexibility. If she does well in the kangaroo [which is fairly new at Junior level] then talk to her teacher if your DD is keen. Did you see some of the material is on the site so she could have a go herself anyway.

Only the later questions in the challenges are negatively marked but the 'type' of maths does not suit all.

Does her school have some of the UKMT books in the library? Many maths departments will have a collection and they're a good source of problems.
In the junior kangaroo none of it is negatively marked according to the past papers I've looked at.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry, I was talking about the JMC not the Kangaroo round.
wildman

Post by wildman »

Reading this post with great interest. Is the UK Junior challenge good prep for the 11+and for the private school exams?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now