Grades in Yr10

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

Grades in Yr10

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I understand the relationship between A-G and 9-1 but I was just wondering where a Yr10 student should be in terms of grades? Is there a standard expected level (GS in HW)? I believe my DS is doing well but I just wondered if anyone knows so I can set my expectations and provide DS with the right encouragement.

Sorry about the timing with all CAF/Review queries but it seems to be test-time again at his school. I think I saw something-sometime-somewhere explaining it all but I just can't lay my hands on it now.

DS is pleased with his results and I am too but I was just wondering.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Note to self: use a thesaurus for the word wonder :roll:
Guest55

Re: Grades in Yr10

Post by Guest55 »

Has he been given target grades? Most schools use Fischer Family Trust which gives the probability of each GCSE grade based on prior attainment.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

BucksBornNBred wrote:I understand the relationship between A-G and 9-1 but I was just wondering where a Yr10 student should be in terms of grades? Is there a standard expected level (GS in HW)? I believe my DS is doing well but I just wondered if anyone knows so I can set my expectations and provide DS with the right encouragement.

Sorry about the timing with all CAF/Review queries but it seems to be test-time again at his school. I think I saw something-sometime-somewhere explaining it all but I just can't lay my hands on it now.

DS is pleased with his results and I am too but I was just wondering.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Note to self: use a thesaurus for the word wonder :roll:
Each student will have their own targets, I would have thought & these would usually be on their reports. At BGS targets are set and then progress reports are issued with a traffic light system (red, amber, green) to indicate whether targets are being met. There couldn't be one expected grade for 150 boys. Do you mean what grades should they be getting now in order to achieve 7, 8, 9?
Cross posted with G55
scary mum
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I'm not 100% sure I understand the question.
Dd was in year 10 last year. They got a report with a "predicted grade" (based on progress through to the end of year 9 I think) and an "expected grade" based on current working.
For the exams they were told what grade that mark would have achieved if it was in a GCSE (but then reminded that of course they were only being tested on a percentage of the course content).
I don't get the impression that there's a linear progression in terms of grades if that's what you were looking for?
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Guest55 wrote:Has he been given target grades? Most schools use Fischer Family Trust which gives the probability of each GCSE grade based on prior attainment.
Thanks G55. We haven't had any target grades set as such. They do list them as excellent, good, below so I guess that tells me and I am assuming they will let us know (maybe at Parent's evening?) what GCSE grades he is on course for.
scary mum wrote:At BGS targets are set and then progress reports are issued with a traffic light system (red, amber, green) to indicate whether targets are being met. There couldn't be one expected grade for 150 boys. Do you mean what grades should they be getting now in order to achieve 7, 8, 9?
Thank you scary mum - you have reminded me that the traffic light system is coming on line soon; I had forgotten all about that.
loobylou wrote:I'm not 100% sure I understand the question.
Dd was in year 10 last year. They got a report with a "predicted grade" (based on progress through to the end of year 9 I think) and an "expected grade" based on current working.
For the exams they were told what grade that mark would have achieved if it was in a GCSE (but then reminded that of course they were only being tested on a percentage of the course content).
I don't get the impression that there's a linear progression in terms of grades if that's what you were looking for?
loobyloo, do you remember when they gave out the predicted grade report as I don't think I have seen that yet? And, yes I guess I was thinking about a linear progression in the same way in primary they were expected to move up "3 notches" in a year.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply :-)

Edited for typo
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

We only got that particular report at the end of year 10.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thank you loobylou - I am getting ahead of myself again!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now