DS yr 7 thinks he’s “ not good at maths”

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: DS yr 7 thinks he’s “ not good at maths”

Post by Guest55 »

What topics is he worried about? Has he been through the test and understood where he went wrong ..? Class tests are formative ie are best used to focus on weaker areas. Year 7 tends to be taught mixed ability and we were always careful to timetable teachers that could support all abilities.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I actually disagree with this - it is more obvious in primary where there tends to still be the "top table" differentiation, but, with a few exceptions, less obvious in secondary as the work becomes harder and there are more subjects. A child may be very good at English and History, but less able at Maths and Chemistry, for example.
I never had you down as a 'fixed mindset' champion KCG :)

Seriously though, the point I am making is that to get better at a subject requires a pupil to put in the work, regardless of any predisposition.

Of all the pupils I taught, very few achieved, 'free of charge'.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

hopoe wrote:Thanks so much everyone for such a useful range of replies and suggestions. I think DS was pulled up short when he performed badly in a test and that has been reflected in his mid term report. He was not hot housed, he had 1 hour a week of maths tuition from a friend of mine who is a primary school teacher but not a professional tutor. He was always on the top table but now there are kids who are more able than him and it seems to have hit his confidence. Whereas in other subjects the gap is not so apparent.
I will certainly look at doodlemaths. He definitely could be putting in a bit more effort, he has a tendency to rest on his laurels. I’m hoping the meet up with his maths teacher will also be helpful. I’m not going to get heavy handed though as the last thing I want is for him to get a “ maths complex” ( which I had when I was at school).
I think this is probably good news hopoe. If his lack of confidence is stemming from the results of a test (rather than what is happening in the class), then the simple answer is more/better revision next time.

You are not wrong to be concerned. Boys in particular, rank themselves academically, and that can lead to hits on self-esteem. Strictly speaking, self-concept (in case Amber is hovering :) ) A good result in the next test will pick him up.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I think this isn’t an unusual scenario. At DD’s grammar they are often the only one or two from their school so used to being top. DD’s school do not stream in Y7 to give them a chance to settle down and then when they do they are careful at explaining that any differences are very small. At a school where 89% get a grade 7 or above it is easy to perceive you are not doing well enough if your predicted grade is an amazing 7 - that at the same time it isn’t quite as amazing as others. It can all be in how the school communicates it to the child - as well as the parents not adding pressure.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

RedPanda wrote: I never had you down as a 'fixed mindset' champion KCG :)
To be honest, the smiley face doesn’t take away that this is actually quite offensive to me. :oops:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KCG - I think RedPanda completely misunderstood the point you were making and their comment was completely unwarranted.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Thank you Guest55...obviously my communication was understood by you but not clear enough for others....
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
RedPanda wrote: I never had you down as a 'fixed mindset' champion KCG :)
To be honest, the smiley face doesn’t take away that this is actually quite offensive to me. :oops:
Just seen this. In a rush but need to apologize. If Guest55 is picking me up for unwarranted posts then I've crossed a line. :)

My thinking at the time was that the statement was so ridiculous (hence the smiley) that it wouldn't be taken seriously.

Nevertheless, I've offended and I appologize unreservedly KCG.

I did, of course, understand what you had written. I'll offer a better response when I get 10 minutes.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

RedPanda wrote: If Guest55 is picking me up for unwarranted posts then I've crossed a line. :)
Great - so in your apology you are rude to me as well - are you going for a full set?
Amber

Post by Amber »

RedPanda wrote:in case Amber is hovering
I am now. And I got that you were joking RP. :)

I have never been any good at Maths. It was rather a shock to me when I had a psychometric test done a few years back by an employer and it put me in the 'exceptionally able' category for numerical reasoning. Wondering who I can blame for the fact that O level maths grade C scrape was my biggest attainment.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now