Y10 Maths

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Y10 Maths

Post by ToadMum »

DS2 is at a grammar school in yr11, top set Maths and therefore by default - at his school - doing Further Maths. But they do both syllabuses in tandem, taking both GCSEs at the end of this year. Do you mean that your DD will be taking the Maths GCSE this year and FM at the end of year 11? Or just that they cover the syllabuses separately over one year each but take both exams in year 11?

DD (now year 13 and not taking A level Maths) went from top set at a comprehensive in year 7 to middle set at a grammar at the beginning of year 8, fairly quickly up to top set, but then happily down to middle set again in year 10 with our blessing. Exactly because the pace was less pressured - also, she preferred the middle set teacher :) . She got a perfectly respectable 7 in the GCSE.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Guest55 wrote:Personally I don't rate Further Maths - I've not taught it but have helped a neighbour's son with it. I thought the topics were a right mish-mash and I'd rather spend the time on GCSE broadening the experience rather than introduce new 'stuff' that was not always even in A level Maths!

Confidence is such an important part of doing well in maths - when is Parents evening? Is there room in set 2?
That’s my thinking Guest55, I feel she would do better getting a good grasp of the normal GCSE without adding another dimension. To do this she would go down to set 2. He did mention in class the other day that if they don’t want to do FM they would could down to set 2 anyway. DD1 has mentioned quite a few girls at the top of set 2 want to do FM, it’s obviously slighty fluid but only until Christmas. Sadly parents evening is March . I think we’ll sleep on it over the weekend and then make a decision. Thank you very much for you advice and opinion. Dolly xx
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

ToadMum wrote:DS2 is at a grammar school in yr11, top set Maths and therefore by default - at his school - doing Further Maths. But they do both syllabuses in tandem, taking both GCSEs at the end of this year. Do you mean that your DD will be taking the Maths GCSE this year and FM at the end of year 11? Or just that they cover the syllabuses separately over one year each but take both exams in year 11?

DD (now year 13 and not taking A level Maths) went from top set at a comprehensive in year 7 to middle set at a grammar at the beginning of year 8, fairly quickly up to top set, but then happily down to middle set again in year 10 with our blessing. Exactly because the pace was less pressured - also, she preferred the middle set teacher :) . She got a perfectly respectable 7 in the GCSE.
Sorry Toadmum , I knew I wasn’t explaining well! It’s the latter Y10 the study just the general maths gcse and then don’t revisit it again, as Y11 they concentrate on FM.

For me it’s confidence, she has always been pretty good at Maths , and enjoyed it now she dreads the lessons . I’m hoping after her chat with him his approach might be different in class. If it not I’ll be recommending set 2 , as Guest55 mentioned confidence is an important part of it. Dollyxx
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

anotherdad wrote:It sounds like the teacher’s collective rollicking has backfired and he’s surprised that an individual student didn’t find it motivating.

I think this is a situation that calls for Guest55’s experience but I would have thought the first step should be to establish exactly which maths GCSEs the school is delivering and how and when they’re being delivered.
I know I couldn’t agree more.... :roll: I’m now hoping he might have a change of teaching style now a student has approached him. To be fair , I haven’t really been too involved as she’s a just get on with child. It’s only as this has arose she mentioned they rush through the gcse in Y10 then FM Y11. I’m sure there are plenty of students in set 2 that want be in set 1 and do FM.

I suppose what’s been nice , he’s not pushing her down to set 2 , at least that might give her a confidence boost so she can make the right decision for her. Thanks again for your advice and help. Dolly xx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now