Y10 Maths

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dollydripmat

Y10 Maths

Post by Dollydripmat »

Just looking for a bit of advice . DD1 is in Y10 top set. They have recently had an important exam (according to teacher ) and today at school no results were given , instead they got a rollicking from their maths teacher saying their results were not as good as expected from top set and some in set 4 have got better results (7 sets). Told them some students may not be remaining in the set . DD1 has come home quite deflated , she works hard and usually enjoys Maths. She and a few others have complained he doesn’t explain as well as the teacher they had last year . A few weeks ago she asked a question and got beareated was told she should know that . She is too scared to ask questions. I am no teacher.....but if your class hasn’t achieved what is expected does this not reflect on his teaching style ? Surely it’s ok to ask if your unsure? Now she says she’d rather be in set 2 as the teacher is better and ok if you ask. Is this common ? He told them today all if the top set have to take further maths and if they don’t ,they will be put down to set 2. I just feel nothing positive was said today....just appears very negative towards the students. Dolly xx
anotherdad

Re: Y10 Maths

Post by anotherdad »

Not good. What a horrible way to exercise setting. "Some of the thickos in set four have done better than you lot!"

Email the teacher concerned and express your disappointment with what you've been told has happened and see what they say? Or maybe the subject lead?

We had a strikingly similar experience with my daughter's maths teacher in year 9 and I cross-checked with two other parents we knew to verify it. We had a parents' evening the next week so once we'd talked through my daughter's report, I asked the teacher if I could speak to him privately (the consultations were all done in a busy hall and I didn't want to undermine him by being overheard). He said something like "you can say anything you like here" or words to that effect, so I asked my daughter to leave us and I quietly berated him for being a bully. He completely backed down and apologised. He did improve but was gone by the end of the year. It could have derailed my daughter's enthusiasm for the subject but she had excellent teachers for GCSE maths and went on to study it at A level.

Tackle it now, before a teacher's bad behaviour spoils her enjoyment of the subject.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Oh Dolly I'm so sorry to hear that. Unfortunately some students do get on better with some teachers than others but no teacher should make a student too scared to ask.

Could you make an appointment to see the teacher to discuss your concerns or the Head of Maths if you think that is better?

Do they have help sessions she could go to?

This website is quite good with some Powerpoint lessons: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/resource.php?rid=135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can search by topic - do PM me if you think I can help further.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Thanks anotherdad. Your post is very helpful . I really don’t like getting too involved so I wasn’t sure whether to intervene. It’s a shame as she really loves English, History, music etc but she has a natural affinity to maths and does enjoy it and works very hard at all subjects, but I feel she is losing the love of the subject due to the teacher.

I’m so impressed with how you dealt with it anotherdad , I need to find the confidence to approach this. Dolly xx
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Believe me, anothermum is much more scary than me so I did the guy a favour!
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Guest55 wrote:Oh Dolly I'm so sorry to hear that. Unfortunately some students do get on better with some teachers than others but no teacher should make a student too scared to ask.

Could you make an appointment to see the teacher to discuss your concerns or the Head of Maths if you think that is better?

Do they have help sessions she could go to?

This website is quite good with some Powerpoint lessons: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/resource.php?rid=135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can search by topic - do PM me if you think I can help further.
Thank you for replying Guest55, I do value your input very much. Your advice is most welcome . I’ll look into that. I do understand that teachers vary, and we are fine if she moves to set 2 , I’m just surprised they way they seem to motivate the top set. Thank you for the link. Dolly xx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would not call what happened 'motivating' more like bullying - if that was my department that teacher would be 'dealt with' - totally unacceptable attitude.
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

Update...DD1 got test score back , came in the bottom 5 of set 1. She was quite upset as she had worked hard. She really feels set 2 would be the best place for her . I am completely supportive of what’s right for her, so I encouraged her to email the teacher to discuss her result. In his defence he was quite shocked that she might want to go down to set 2 , as he mentioned she is highly ranked in the class and all of her end of topic tests have been above average and this was her first blip. He told her she would get a 9 and further maths would help her with the regular maths GCSE.

She is now a bit confused but in her heart she feels she’s not confident in the subject and feels set 2 would be less pressured and the pace less severe. Only set 1 do further maths. I’m not really sure how to advise , as I didn’t have further maths in my day .

It would appear according to DD1 that Y10 is spent rushing through gcse Maths and Y11 is only for further maths.

Is this how they do things at a GS? Only spending 1 year on a subject ? Whereas my friends DD1 has spent 3 yrs on maths for gcse syllabus. Dolly xx
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

It sounds like the teacher’s collective rollicking has backfired and he’s surprised that an individual student didn’t find it motivating.

I think this is a situation that calls for Guest55’s experience but I would have thought the first step should be to establish exactly which maths GCSEs the school is delivering and how and when they’re being delivered.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Personally I don't rate Further Maths - I've not taught it but have helped a neighbour's son with it. I thought the topics were a right mish-mash and I'd rather spend the time on GCSE broadening the experience rather than introduce new 'stuff' that was not always even in A level Maths!

Confidence is such an important part of doing well in maths - when is Parents evening? Is there room in set 2?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now