How do your DCs revise in Y7?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
judith1209

How do your DCs revise in Y7?

Post by judith1209 »

Hello
I would like to get some ideas from you, ladies.
My DS is in Y7 in GS.
I was told that they will be doing everything on their own after they get in secondary school from other mums who have bigger kids but apparently I just realized it wasn't applied to my DS. :oops:
After two term has been passed he admitted he feels that he is not doing well in the class.
Especially for science, he finds many topics pretty new and not interesting, whereas others find it easy and understand well-according to him.
Luckily, his half term exam result was just or a bit above average but I am worried if he lose his interest and wants to give up.
I would like to suggest hime to do revew after lessons, maybe 2-3times a week but not sure what resource I should offer.
When I look at his notebook it seems that not much writing or notes were written.
Do you have the DCs do the revision? Then how often and what way do you suggest?
Can you recommend any resource book or website to help?

Many thanks in advance!
piggys

Re: How do your DCs revise in Y7?

Post by piggys »

What does the school say about your ds and his progress? what did his science teacher(s) say when you consulted them ?
judith1209

Post by judith1209 »

I got a chance to meet only Chemisty teacher in parents evening. She said his not above but not below either.
Also mentioned if he can concentrate and work a bit harder he would have been better.
Because we only had 5mins and other parents were waiting I couldn't explain how he felt and asked more details.
It was after the first half term and I thought I would see how it'd go a bit longer.
He will have end of year exam in March and I'm feeling I need to help him little bit. :roll:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I would either contact his form tutor or ask for meetings with the individual teachers. They are usually happy to meet with you if you are able to get to school to do so.

It's a while since mine were that age, but BBC bitsize is quite good for revision. Or how about you tube videos? Lots of teachers put videos up these days & that might appeal more to an 11/12 year old boy than dry text books.
scary mum
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

My DD is in yr 7 at a GS. So far she's had 'tests' in maths, science & French.

Science - test has been at the end of each topic. Each topic has had a workbook and revision questions in the back to work through. School also suggested a KS3 science text book to support. She also came home with homework to make a revision guide for the topic - in her choice of format. School have told them to do one for each topic ready for the end of the year.

Maths - DD has re-read her notes from in class & watched some videos from her 'hegarty maths' 'app'. Again seems to be at the end of 'topics / units'

For French, she's had vocab lists which she's written out a few times to get the spellings. School also uses a 'memrise' app - a bit like quizlet.

Hope this helps.
scooby doo

Post by scooby doo »

My DC's use a variety of tools, depending on subject. BBC bitesize, youtube videos, flash cards, getting copies of diagrams (without the words on them), working with a friend to test each other. Sometimes they will ask me to test them, usually with French or German. Whatever method my advice is little and often. This seems to work very well for my DC's who are very happy. All children are different and need to find what works best for them.
judith1209

Post by judith1209 »

Thanks a lot for all the replies.
Do schools usually provide revision sheet?
In my DS's school, they don't. They set revision for the test for homework but there is only notebooks he wrote down at class to revise.
In notebook, only some information is written but not questions he can look through.
Maybe I'd better to contact the form tutor to discuss about it..Would it be ok?
KB

Post by KB »

That sounds like a very good idea.
Its odd that you only saw one teacher at consultation evening.

If you don't have an email address for the form tutor you can usually call the school office and leave a message.

Make a list of questions you want to ask them before you go to the meeting so you are fully prepared. If you dont understand anything be sure to get them to explain again. They will prefer that parents are on board and able to support their children.

At the start of year 7 many children can benefit from some parental input in getting to grips with the move to secondary school.
Its best to be working towards them becoming independent with their studying but helping them figure out how to do that is a positive thing.

Sadly one thing that your DS will need to learn is that lessons may be boring. Hopefully some will be interesting and even exciting but he needs to concentrate and work hard anyway. A good lesson for life!
ds205

How many exams will they do at the end of year 7

Post by ds205 »

Hi
My son is in GS I just wanted to know how many exams will they do by the end of yr7
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Your son’s school will issue/should have issued an exam timetable for the end of year exams showing how many, when and in which subjects they are going to be taking the exams. Your DS should have this, but if not have a look at the school calendar on their website and at the letters to parents area on their website as there should be an exam letter or booklet on there.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now