Help with maths and English

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bright future

Help with maths and English

Post by bright future »

Hello everyone, I have read post about DD progress and some are struggling,some in why they need tutions. I want to ask that most of the time the kids get help at home with subjects they are struggling but I as parents we are not that much educated or I would say confident enough to teach because we don't want him to get confused by our way of teaching because we were not taught this way , what's the harm of getting extra help by hiring a tutor. Also if you know your dd is not very confident and comfortable to ask his teachers for help.
Daogroupie

Re: Help with maths and English

Post by Daogroupie »

I don't think it is true to say most dcs get help at home.

Some do, but as you say sometimes it is hard to help if you do not know the subject well.

You need to encourage dd to ask for help from the teacher. If she finds this hard perhaps you could email the form tutor or give her a note to take in that can be given to the teacher of the subject she is struggling with.

Go to the school first and only if you cannot find help there then consider a tutor. DG
bright future

Post by bright future »

Thanks for the reply, I wanted to know if there are any resources online or books we can buy to revise. As the text books which the school provide has no answer so I am not confident to ask anything from there as I might not answer correctly.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Which textbooks is she using from school? DG
russet

Post by russet »

What year is your dc in?

My dd is in y11 and uses CGP books quite a bit. Often the school buys them in and sells them on to parents at a discount, so it worth enquiring if your school does this. For GCSE you need to know what exam board, as there are slight differences in what they learn. For years 7 and 8 you just need to get the ones for KS3.

On YouTube, for English, there is Mr. Bruff or Mr. Salles. Again, you need to know what books they will be studying if they are wanting to use it for GCSE.

For GCSE maths, dd used Letts revision guides and workbooks and then turned on line to Khan Academy. The videos helped if there were bits she was struggling with.