year 8 consultations

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

twmum

year 8 consultations

Post by twmum »

We have consultations looming soon.All appointments are 'booked' by our child at 5 minute intervals! He has come home tonight telling us that the History teacher had 15 slots left,having given priority to her own form,and these remaining slots would be allocated to people who did not have a consultation last year!
Firstly,I was amazed that any parent with a child in their first year at Grammar School would not attend consultations in all subjects!Secondly I am wondering is this normal practice? I cannot believe that 2 years will now pass with very little guidance or feedback on this subject from my child's teacher. Interestingly although homework is regularly set ,it is not very often marked by this teacher.
Has anybody else who reads this forum had a similar experience and do you think this is acceptable? :shock: :shock:
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Twmum. Alas, yes. My son is in Year 8 at grammar school and we've just had his anual parents' evening. This followed the same format as last year in that we were given a list of teachers who would be present and asked to place our son's teachers in order of preference. We were warned that we wouldn't be able to see everyone but on each occasion we were only given 5 appointments. It's agonising deciding who to see and who to leave out. On both occasions I made appointments to see his form tutor on the assumption that he at least would have an overview of his performance. But I now realise this was a waste of a slot as I think he would only have had anything to say if there was something bad to report. I can never decide whether to concentrate on subjects he likes and is good at to make sure he's maintaining his standards; whether to look at new subjects; or whether to look at subjects I suspect he's underperforming in. I always like to see his maths teacher because it's his best and favourite subject. I put his DT teacher down this year purely because he asked me not to :twisted: That was actually useful because we discussed what he would focus on in Year 9 (basically anything that doesn't require him to be neat and tidy). After that I think we saw his science teacher and finally his geography teacher because I'd got the impression he was letting my son get away with poor work. I'd love to have found out how he was doing in French, German, History and Music.... We do get 4 reports a year - but it's not the same.

I do find that most teachers mark books regularly, but frustratingly his English book is only ever used for rough drafts and the final products are kept at school (or so he tells me .......)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I always see as many parents as I can - much more effective than a report.

From the 'parent' angle we can see whoever we wish - if child has not made an appointment staff seem very happy to see us anyway. If there's a big issue to discuss Parents evening is not really designed for that - I'd make an appointment and go in at another time.

Post by 1401 »

Is it possible that you and husband / partner go and split - both get different appointments with different teachers - you may be able to see all the teachers this way! Some schools allow this - its worth a try and then you can discuss the meetings as a family later
twmum

Post by twmum »

The problem is that some of my child's teachers are not offering appointments at all to some of their pupils!We only have one parent meeting a year and two reports.The first report is an A4 page issued in the Autumn and a fuller one issued in the Summer term.
For some subjects my child's books have not been marked for over three months,even though they contain a lot of homework.We are thus left in limbo as to how he is doing and his potential .It will also affect what options are going to be taken up.
My partner and I are shocked that this is happening in a Grammar school.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Twmum. An after thought - at my son's grammar school I know that subject teachers will request that a parent makes an appointment with them if they feel the child has any problems or if they feel the child is doing exceptionally well in a subject. It might be worth asking if this is the approach your child's school takes and then you can at least reassure yourself that your child is doing reasonably well. We're also asked to fill in a questionnaire on parents' evening asking if we think we get enough feedback from the school - if you have anything like that it's worth making your views known.

I'm hoping that, when he's in year 9, we're able to see everyone before he decides on his options.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

we had similar in year 7 - appointments for many subjects (other than the form teacher) were by invitation only and we gathered that the lack of invitations was because DS was doing fine.
Had a very nice evening in the end seeing 2-3 teachers who didn't issue appointments and in subjects that - given a list - we may not have arranged to see.
bestpossibleoutcome

No appointments

Post by bestpossibleoutcome »

My daughter's school has a system which does not require appointments to be made. I thought it would be hopeless, and expected a bit of a scrum before I went the first time. I try to get there quite early because queues do build up, particularly this year as GCSE options were coming up. Although systems which rely on appointments are also prone to queues. This system allows you to prioritise. If there was anyone I missed seeing, but thought that it was important to see, I would drop them a note requesting a mutually convenient time.
Y

Post by Y »

We haven't had a proper parents' consultation yet. The school sends home termly report cards, but I've come to the conclusion that for a number of subjects the Level reported isn't worth the paper it is written on. Since my DD barely opens her mouth in class (I still can't get over this....), and only about 10% of her work is ever marked, I can't see what basis the assessments were made on. Her form's geography assessment, set some time around October, still hasn't been returned, despite requests from the girls... Certain of the teachers take a conscientious approach to marking, but feedback from another parent tells me that the head's response to criticism of marking is that the staff have a lot to do! I'm speechless! I thought the point was to provide feedback to enable the students to improve their work, and to check that they are on the right track. If the work is never marked, how can problems be nipped in the bud? Do other schools take this approach to marking?
2nd time arround

Post by 2nd time arround »

we have had this with our ds grammar, she is in year 9 now, I just keep an eye on the teachers we have not been able to get appointments for and if they are sitting with no parents we just introduce ourselves and have a quick word, they have always been fine about this.
Good Luck
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now