summer holiday before year9

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
judith1209

summer holiday before year9

Post by judith1209 »

Hello
Hope everyone is now relaxed after unexpected and complex terms.
It was difficult times for almost everyone and I am glad that we can have 6 weeks break now.
Starting the summer holiday, I am wondering if my DS who will start his year 9 in September would need any revision or preparation before the new year.
Unfortunately his current school didn't manage to provide proper remote lessons after lock down although it is a popular grammar school.
I feel his last term has been just vanished without teaching him anything and I know I wouldn't be the only one who feel this way.
Do you think that kids need to do some preparation or revision of what they learnt before going up to year 9?
If so, please recommend the materials or method.
As we're not planning much during summer I would like to spend this time efficiently and wisely.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. 8) :wink:
Please share any plan or story for your summer too!
PerpetualStudent

Re: summer holiday before year9

Post by PerpetualStudent »

Hi Judith,

I imagine schools will have to spend some time revising or going over missed material when the new term starts. However it would probably be helpful to go over some of the KS3 textbooks or revision guides. The main thing would be to know which subjects should have already been covered in year 7&8 and which were intended for year 9.

CGP do a range of revision guides for most KS3 subjects. They are available in many larger bookshops as well as online. Collins also publish a lot of the school texts and guides. I also had little difficulty buying DD’s KS3 science textbooks when I needed to make sure she had access during the year. Her’s were Activate! Iirc. If the school can’t tell you perhaps your DS would recognise them online (if bookshops aren’t an option)?

Whatever you end up getting or doing I hope you manage at least a few weeks of real relaxation and fun.
Octsmum

Re: summer holiday before year9

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

DD's school have told us that they will do some assessments when they get back in September & go over / make sure everyone is where they should be. I think they are planning more intervention for those that need it too. Fortunately pre lock down we already had some of the KS3 revision / study aids which have ben helpful and will be good for revision towards the end of year 9. I also checked the school website & the subject outlines. They have covered more than I was expecting - so might be useful to check those too. Some subjects (like Science) swapped year 8 content for year 9 content around as it was better to deliver remotely than some of the more practical topics requiring a science lab.

Hope that helps.