Is average 70% bad?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
GM

Is average 70% bad?

Post by GM »

Hi,

My dd is year 7 in a GS. They had their test before the half-term. She came back yesterday and told me the average mark for history test is 70%. I wonder it is good or not? Does it mean the school performance is bad or not? Anybody know about it?

GM
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Do grammar schools do the same tests or are the tests individual to each school? My sosn has had different grades at different schools with somw schools expecting 90%+ and other schools tests expecting 50%+.

I know at common entrance the pass mark is usually around 55% which most people would think was low, but then if the test is hard maybe thats a good score. When I was at school in Scotland the equivalent of a GCSE A was 75% +, 60%+ for a B, and 50%+ for a C. At uni the pass marks are around 55%.

Was her result 70% and was that average compared to the class? If it was then you have nothing to worry about. :)
GM

Post by GM »

Thanks for the reply.
My dd has got 80%+, above the average. I just think GS should expect 90%+ and average should be around 80%, Maybe I am too mean. :shock:
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

I imagine in Yr 7 they will just be end of year tests set by the school themselves and they will be aimed at a child of grammar school ability. I don't think it would be reasonable to compare them to something like SATs where you might expect a child of this ability to achieve 80%+.

My son, who is Yr 9, took SATs recently and is now sitting end of year exams set by the school. They still have to do maths, english and science as the school feel that the level of the SATs is not high enough to really test their knowledge.

So to answer your question, these tests are not really going to tell you how well the school is performing. The results achieved will depend entirely on the difficulty of the exam, but if my child was achieving 80% against an average of 70% I would be quite happy. :D
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

A better idea of how the school is achieving, if you are concerned, would perhaps be to look at their GCSE and A-level results.
GM

Post by GM »

Thanks Sam's Mum.
I know their GCSE and A-level results. It's good school but not on the top. :)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Just a thought - if your child was continually gaining high 90's percentages then may be the kids wouldn't be getting challenged enough as it would clearly be too easy?
GM

Post by GM »

Good point T.i.p.s.y, thanks.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Just red an article on the BBC website and there is a part which says
Added to that, the percentage mark required for a grade C fell to about 20% in the higher tier GCSE in 2000 and 2006.

That is really shocking! :shock:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes but the content of Higher tier was aimed at grade B - that system also ended in 2007. There were THREE tiers in Maths - someone expected to get a C should have sat the Intermediate tier -

This year there is only Foundation and Higher tier.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now